Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my second drain and refill with Torque Drive. The drain bolt keeps doing this when tightened:

Normal?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, it looks like a fat girl on the back of a moped, but is it doing any harm?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
That is the seal lol. Its gonna leak more than a fat kid on laxative.

·
Registered
374 Posts
looks like that was smoked tight once upon a time

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the Chevrolet dealership and got a replacement bolt/gasket for $7. I took out the old one and inserted the new bolt.

NOW the bolt will turn and turn and turn and not tighten or loosen even though it is fully inserted. Really hoping I didn't strip the threads on the pan. Thoughts?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F^*k! I'm pretty sure it's stripped. Is it safe to reuse the $100 worth of ATF I just put in? I'm guessing no.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
F^*k! I'm pretty sure it's stripped. Is it safe to reuse the $100 worth of ATF I just put in? I'm guessing no.
Sure! Why not? Just make sure to use a really clean catch pan. If you have a rack or can fit a 5 gallon bucket under it Id buy a new one.

Do you have a air chisel? If you cant get the drain plug out id make a hole with a air chisel or punch. You might loose a little but not alot.

Also, dont forget... Did you replace the internal filter? If you didnt replace it when u get a new pan. If you get a deep pan youll need a longer filter, a filter lock, and more fluid. Just a FYI.

You can find all this stuff on our vendors websites. Id reccomend Mike L :thumb

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What an ordeal this fluid change turned out to be! I found an OEM pan at the local Chevy dealership...$80. I was able to drain the fluid out of the old pan by drilling a small hole and had no problem lowering the pan. I did lose some Torque Drive, but luckily I had a spare gallon. I torqued the drain bolt to 26ft lbs before putting the new pan in place, no trouble this time.

Now on to the new problem...

Two of the pan bolts won't tighten! They're fully inserted and are at least hand tight. I'm not sure what happened, as I was careful not to force anything after the above problems. I tightened all the bolts by hand prior to using the torque wrench set to 20lbs. I went ahead and filled it with fluid and got it warmed up to 160 degrees, everything seems ok for now. I'm slightly nervous as I'm about to make a cross country trip in two days.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well if it was going to leak it would have started already. Wouldn't worry too much just check it a couple times during the trip. The only thing you can do is insert a heli-coil or just drill and tap to a slightly bigger size.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts