Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a TransgoJr installed in my truck about 15K/1 yr ago, the transmission shop builds put Amsoil Torque-Drive (their choice) back in my truck along with internal/external filters. I usually run fluids to spec in my truck but I do like synthetics. Ive been reading on here and have found way too many reviews on what tranny fluid spec/brand people run in their truck, not trying to start a war among Amsoil lovers and haters just haven't seen anybody answer the question I have. Never researched Torque Drive until today when doing some reading and now wondering if I need to keep it in my truck since it's not really approved by GM for my truck. If you already had Torque drive fluid with only 15K on it would you change it out for Dex VI or just keep running it. This stuff wasn't cheap and don't want to spend money thats not needed but don't want to not and maybe cause problems either. I changed the spin on yesterday and had a thin layer of black residue on magnet, I assume that normal. What would you do?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Are you having trans problems!? Cleaning the spin on magnet is normal

·
Registered
492 Posts
Torque drive is a copy of transynd which is what allison recommends
Change interval is 150k where as dex 6 is what gm puts in and the change interval is 50k
I run torque drive and won't run anything else
Its 40 a gal and dex 6 is what 30 ish
Not much different

Reactions: HD Dmax Machine

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have about 50K on torque-drive in mine. Most of those have been after it was tuned and with a transgo jr. it's been down the strip a good number of times, towed in hot weather, highway and stop-go driving. No trans issues. You'll be fine to run with it. Old/dirty fluid would be more of a concern.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Don't drain it. Waste of money. TorqueDrive is fine for your transmission, it will last longer than Dex6, and will stand up to higher temperatures.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Torque drive is fine. I sure ass shit wouldnt drain it & replace with Dexcrap VI.
Like said, Torque drive is a copy of Allison TES 295 fluids.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's probably fine. I'd rather run a true tes295 fluid but I wouldn't change amsoil out if it was already in my truck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's probably fine. I'd rather run a true tes295 fluid but I wouldn't change amsoil out if it was already in my truck.
Torque drive is a tes 295 fluid
Its a carbon copy of transynd

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's not a tes295 fluid. It is a copy, whether it's exactly the same or not is debatable. And considering that real tes 295 fluid costs the same as the copy, I'd rather have the real deal.
well u wont run torque drive and i wont run any castrol product
so we got that covered

·
Registered
546 Posts
well u wont run torque drive and i wont run any castrol product
so we got that covered
You won't run a Castrol product but you'll run something you think is identical?

You can chose other brands of tes 295 fluids.

And it's not that I won't run amsoil. But I'd only run a copy of something over the original if there was a price or availibility advantage. I don't see either with Torque drive.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You won't run a Castrol product but you'll run something you think is identical?

You can chose other brands of tes 295 fluids.

And it's not that I won't run amsoil. But I'd only run a copy of something over the original if there was a price or availibility advantage. I don't see either with Torque drive.
there is only 1 licensed tes 295 fluid because thats all that allison allowed
so basically everything else is a copy
i didnt say u wouldnt run amsoil i said u wouldnt run torque drive

·
Registered
191 Posts
Let me ask a question ..... Why would a Transmission shop risk their reputation by using a fluid that will cause problems?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I like soup!

·
Registered
16,268 Posts

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Reactions: hangenouthere

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No real problems, but did have a p0732 code when towing 12k fifth wheel up a very steep hill at about 25 mph. This happened about 3 months ago, since then I have changed the output shaft speed sensor and the spin on. Seems to have a very slight lag on 2-3 shift that I've noticed occasionally. I agree that it says something that transmission shop is using the torque drive. Just wanted some opinions on if would change the fluid or stick with it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would leave it in, my $.02

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.