Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in my new deep transmission pan. I was looking at the install sheet and of course it says to drain the pan, and remove it. The sheet also recommends draining the torque converter. On these Allison 1000 how would one do this?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You can't drain it unless you drop the whole tranny. You sure it says that??

·
Registered
699 Posts
just a thought that works if you want to do it but there is an access on the bottom of the housing and you can drill and tap a hole in the tc to drain it, if there isn't one there. did it to a ferd awhile back

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
You would have to remove the transmission to drain it properly. They just want a full amount of fresh fluid in the trans. Don't bother trying to drain it. If you want to flush it, search the HOOT FLUSH METHOD.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I didn't drain mine when I had the maghytec on it.....Personally I wouldnt worry about it, or if you are.....Then just run it for 20-30 min and redrain/refill.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah I am not too worried about it, I just figured since it said it there might be an easy way to do it w/ these Allison's. I will just drain what is in the existing pan, put the new deep filter on and pan, then refill.

What fluid would you recommend? I was thinking of going synthetic. If I do that is there a worry of running synthetic w/ the remaining fluid that would be left in the TC?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Transynd is very nice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read elsewhere that people were using Transynd. Is this only available online or are there local automotive stores that carry Transynd?

Also there is no worries on mixing Transynd w/ the conventional trans fluid that is in there at this point?

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Local Allison dealers. Just got a 5 Gallon pail for 200. Go to Allison website and search dealers. Call a couple cause the first one I called would have hit me for almost a hundred more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nah I am not too worried about it, I just figured since it said it there might be an easy way to do it w/ these Allison's. I will just drain what is in the existing pan, put the new deep filter on and pan, then refill.

What fluid would you recommend? I was thinking of going synthetic. If I do that is there a worry of running synthetic w/ the remaining fluid that would be left in the TC?
You should worry about it as 99% of ALL transmission failures stem from the convertor. The sludge in the bottom of the pan? There's a lot more inside the convertor. Flushing is easy and once you install your new pan, MagTech or whatever, you;ll never need to remove it again. Flush it through the cooler lines, spin on a fresh filter and you're done. Once a tear if you plow snow, tow, play off-road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hard to believe "Genital Motors" still doesn't put a drain plug on there transmissions! The Hydramatic in my mom's old 421 Catalina, a '63, had one, as did the C-6 in my '79 Bronco.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
Hard to believe "Genital Motors" still doesn't put a drain plug on there transmissions!....
Not that GM makes the Allison, but...

Do you have an HD?
Have you looked at your pan on the Ally?
Have you ever found sludge in the pan on an Ally?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts

Transynd and a double flush. There’s quite a bit of fluid inside the converter. Anytime I’ve serviced one of my trucks transmissions I have done a double flush.

Pharaoh, Allison builds and supplies the Allison, it’s not GMs design. The transmission has an internal and external filter with the internal being designed to remove larger material, the external removes the fine particles. There’s lots of guys who are running with high mileage Allison’s and never touched the internal filter, they just followed Allison’s recommended fluid change schedule and spin on filter changes.

That said (and when you look at the price) it’s cheap and easy to change the external spin on filter every oil change if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts

BOTH Transynd (recommended by Allison) and Dex VI (What GM uses) are synthetic. They are fully compatible with one another. Transynd has better performance at cold temps. Most here go with the Transmission's Manufacturers recommendation (Transynd) rather than Dex VI

Here is a link to all fluids which meet the Transynd Standard (TES 295):
On-Highway Fluids

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quite true, 407 and I agree with you. In my case, I've just purchased an '08 Silverado, my first and, at my age, hopefully my last. However, this Texas truck has 260k on it and not knowing the full maintenance history, I'm going to err on the side of over-maintenance and change/flush everything now, at summer's end I;ll repeat all. Then, for the transmission, change the spin-on and top-off ann ually

1 - 17 of 17 Posts