Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 06 LBZ at the beginning of 08 in Oklahoma, I was getting about 18mpg at that time. Moved to FT. Lewis, WA. shortly after that. Still got around 18mpg for the 2 years that I was stationed there. Then I was stationed at FT. Bliss in hellpaso TX. In the 9-10 months that I have been stationed here I have seen my MPG drop to around 14mpg! My rig is stock and I do not beat on the accelerator or sit in stop and go traffic. Where do I need to start looking to correct this problem? Current elevation around Olympia, WA. is 100 feet / 30 meters. Current elevation around El Paso, TX. Is 3800 feet / approx 1100 meters. Just how much impact does elevation have on fuel mileage?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
have you changed your fuel and air filter out?

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my oil gets changed when the guage tells me that i am at 25%, i currently run royal purple full synthetic15w / 40. my fuel filter lasts about 2x longer than my oil filter but i change it every time that i do an oil change regardless. my air filter gets replaced/blown out every oil change as well. my axls get cleaned every 20k, i do not beat on the rig or abuse it, ?????????????????

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Altitude and heat can take their toll. That's a huge climb from sea level to almost 4K ft.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Surprised it hasn't been said yet. Fill out your sig so everyone can see what you got and can make better suggestions....
With that said, your avatar pic looks like stock height. Are you running a tuner? Exhaust or intake mods?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
For the sig, click on User CP at the top of the page, then you will see Signature down the left side. Just put what you want in the block and everytime you post it will show.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Its the Diesel fuel. EPT has bad quality Diesel fuel. Iv never had luck with Diesel fuel in EPT.
The only fair quality Diesel in EPT (that I knw of) is the Chevron/Truck Stop @ 6700 Gateway Boulevard E.

Sounds crazy but when I lived in EPT I use to get my Diesel fuel @ a Chevron in Las Cruces NM.
They have great quality Diesel fuel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its odd ball stuff like this that pops in my head but what about tire pressure? It's a reach but you never know.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i ran into a guy down here one day that was running an 01 dually and he was using a motorcraft diesel additive that he gets from the ford dealer for around $6-7, said he has been using it for about a year or two and highly recommends it, so i'll give it a try.

also i guess i am going to have to get a good fuel water seperator, clean or replace my maf sensor, get a cold air intake and see what that does?????

anybody else got suggestions for me to try, or am i going in the wrong direction????

oh and yeah drake my tire pressure is kept at 65-70 psi

·
Premium Member
17,808 Posts
Moved, this is not a 911 problem.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
i ran into a guy down here one day that was running an 01 dually and he was using a motorcraft diesel additive that he gets from the ford dealer for around $6-7, said he has been using it for about a year or two and highly recommends it, so i'll give it a try.

also i guess i am going to have to get a good fuel water seperator, clean or replace my maf sensor, get a cold air intake and see what that does?????

anybody else got suggestions for me to try, or am i going in the wrong direction????

oh and yeah drake my tire pressure is kept at 65-70 psi
An additive will help, but its not going to give you the MPG you saw before.
Try different fuel stations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts