Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
i don't see any issue with the power service stuff. IIRC gm officially recommends standadyne but power service is a good choice and more readily available. the marvel mystery oil is another story and i'm not sure how the injectors will like it.:spit: the cummins had mechanical injectors for several years and you can run darn near anything through them without hurting them. some even run filtered waste motor oil. i don't in my cummins and this is a big no-no for the duramax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't see any issue with the power service stuff. IIRC gm officially recommends standadyne but power service is a good choice and more readily available. the marvel mystery oil is another story and i'm not sure how the injectors will like it.:spit: the cummins had mechanical injectors for several years and you can run darn near anything through them without hurting them. some even run filtered waste motor oil. i don't in my cummins and this is a big no-no for the duramax.

gotcha... so the standadyne/power service is to keep the diesel in good cond. and keep it from gelling! Correct???

And oil is a no-no for duramax's... (i've even heard of some cummins guys running two stroke in theirs...)

so what part of that equation helps you get better MPG???

I guess what im wondering is if anyone uses any additives to increase mileage in their duramax's!? or to keep them running good...

·
Registered
96 Posts
i can't officially say marvel mystery oil is bad for the duramax. i'm hoping others will jump in and give their $.02 soon. i can tell you that waste motor oil and 2-stroke oil is a no-no.

any additive that has a cetane boost can has the potential to increase fuel mileage. the power service stuff comes in many different formulas. i run the "diesel kleen with cetane" in my cummins and it's specially formulated for the new ULSD. their "diesel fuel supplement with cetane" has the added anti-gel properties. either of those take typically 16 oz to a tank as one 16 oz bottle treats 35 gal of fuel. i buy it in the 96 oz jug at wal-mart.

the standadyne stuff does work very well. we sell it at my dealership and i can vouch for it's anit-gel properties. check your local dealer as they might carry it as well.

any quality #2 diesel will have anti-gel additives in it during the winter months. and most stations only carry #2. but it doesn't hurt anything to add an anti-gel at the fill up if you want to.

like i said, i don't know all the in's and out's of fuel additives and i'm really hoping others will chime in.

hope what i had to say will help a little.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
from my experience...those guy are FOS....I don't know how they figure mileage, but if they aren't filling up to the exact same spot each time it isn't a consistant way to calculate mileage. (you could fill up with a gallon or 2 less depending on how you fill your tank) If you do not actually ride with them...I find anyone's mileage claims hard to believe. I bought a diesel because of all the mileage claims that I have heard from my friends. Well, the mileage isn't bad compaired to my old gas truck, but it is about 5 mpg off of what they claimed. I am happy none the less. Stanadyne does good with anti-gel....I should know....I live in Alaska and use it with almost every tank year round. I have not seen a mileage increase from it though...just piece of mind. I have also used the power service additive when I could not find stanadyne. Worked good, no mileage increase though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yeah, ob, i have to tend to agree. everyone on another forum i belong to was raving about running 2-stroke in their trucks. increased their mileage and supposedly made the pump and injectors quieter. well i've ran about 9 tanks mixed with half to 1 full quart of 2-stroke and i didn't notice any differences. maybe it's the way fuels are blended for different parts of the country. beats the heck outta me.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
I run the power service in the white bottle, its a cetane booster, cleaner and anti gel, dose it work? i dont know but i run it just for peice of mind aginst low sulfer diesel and now ULSD!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run the power service in the white bottle, its a cetane booster, cleaner and anti gel, dose it work? i dont know but i run it just for peice of mind aginst low sulfer diesel and now ULSD!
I run the same stuff occasionally even though our fuel at the farm is 60/40 blend.........Doesn't help my mpg at all never did when i had a cummins or dads stroker.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have just started using the Power Service in the gray bottle. I have actually seen a mileage reduction. Perhaps I had a slight clog in an injector that was helping stem fuel flow and saving fuel? Or it could be that at the same time, our weather finally started acting like winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have heard of people using a similar mixture of the PS and Auto Trans fluid (they say this is more of a detergent and will clean as well as lube). Personally I have used the PS in the grey bottle and did notice a difference in engine noise, but not much in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i use power service in the white and makes me feel better because with some of these places in illinois you never know what you're getting as far as bio diesel mix or anything else for that matter.

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
Fuckin jon...what are you doin here? good to see ya buddy. i picked up my duramax on friday
go easy on your key board buddy,i'm not a big fan of such language and i'm sure there are a few youngsters on here that don't need to read that type of stuff..

oh ya and before i forget welcome to the forum..

ps i'm not trying to be a pain about it just given ya heads up on the way i feel about it..

·
Registered
16 Posts
So has anyone tried this "Drews Blend" in there Dmax? If so how has it done?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts