Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comming from a 97 Dodge diesel I have almost decided to go with the GMC duramax this time. Got to get a 2012 model as I can't wait longer. Can't stand what I am reading on the Cummins forums. Anyway, I want to get a crew cab long bed. I have read that there were some issues with the long bed drive shafts and some vibration problems on take off. Think I read something about drive shafts being in two separate pieces instead of one. Should I get the standard bed because of this?:help

·
Registered
665 Posts
I noted some vibrations at about 45-50 MPH on my 2005 but have not notices it on the 2011.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Welcome to the Forum-- friendly people here and always ready to help.

Buy what you want, not what drive shaft it has. LOL They are all good trucks-- just because one had a problem, does not mean all have the problem.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Forum-- friendly people here and always ready to help.

Buy what you want, not what drive shaft it has. LOL They are all good trucks-- just because one had a problem, does not mean all have the problem.
LOL, yeah, you are probably right, if you worry about every problem someone has had or hear about, you won't get anything. I had a long bed on my dodge and loved it. When you start filling it up you never have enough room. Besides, if we decide to go to a 5th wheel, I would rather have the long bed. Just curious. I really have pretty much decided to go with the Duramax this time. I like the 9th injector technology, so as not to constantly have to worry about heavy fuel in oil dulution. Heyyaa

·
Registered
41 Posts
No issues whatsoever with mine and I've had it loaded to its max ratings, takes off smooth and stays that way for the whole ride, excellent truck. definitely go with the long bed if you're thinking about it, you'll regret it later if you don't get it, I love the long bed, so much handier than the short bed, especially if your going to use your truck to work and haul, all kinds of room. Get the sensors and backup camera with it though, they're a big help with the girlfriend cause the truck is quite long to someone that isn't used to it. I haven't heard any of the issues you mentioned, and I doubt they're accurate is they are true, most likely some yahoo dumped it using the manual mode or did something god awful to it and tried to blame it on the truck to keep from looking like a complete idiot.lol Anyway, go with the crew long bed it's well worth it, trust me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2011 Crew Cab Longbed with about 13,000 miles on it and can tell you that mine does occasionally get drivetrain vibrations on take off as well as a thump when I stop. Neither issue happens consistently but maybe 10-20% of the time. The dealership said it's normal for the Dmax/ Allison to do it. I still love the truck, best one I've had yet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get the sensors and backup camera with it though, they're a big help with the girlfriend cause the truck is quite long to someone that isn't used to it.
Yes, that is on the list as top priority this time. Will have to discuss the girlfriend with the wife though. Not sure about that option.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts