Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home last night just cruzon along about 40 or so I hear a pop and the truck hops give it some gas nothin happens. Pull overlook underneeth everything looked ok hop back in put it in four wheel. Give it gas. Nothing. Give it a little more and I feel something let loose get home look under neeth and I only have half a drive shaft. Not sure what to look for figure pull the cover off the rear and look for chunks. Sorry if this dosnet make sence I'm on my I phone and it's a pain to type

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can you guys give me some info on these axles. Like what size gearsand such. Trying to decide if I should rebuild it or get a used one. Thanks

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
We don't even know what's wrong???You saying you lost half the driveshaft?????Or you lost the driveshaft that goes into the rear of t case?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry. The rear axle bound up so I stopes to check it when I got back it and pit it in gear it wouldn't move so I put it in four wheel and it still wouldn't I gave it some more gas and I could feel something let loose which was the rear drive shaft. My guess is I blew the rear and when it locked it caused my drive shaft to twist and break. Planning on pulling the rear cover off the diff to check out inside for damage. The rear shaft is in two pieces. So I know I'll need a new one.

·
7,336 Posts
oh.................

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm thinking this will be costly

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
driveshaft i cant help you with,

rear it all depends on whats broken, take her apart and find out what she needs. its strange that it would lock up like that...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
did it have fluid in it. the only rear I've seen go was on a '92 f150

·
7,336 Posts
did it have fluid in it. the only rear I've seen go was on a '92 f150
i busted one on a F350 w 7.3 but i was power braking:wink[work truck,looong ago]spider gears shattered......lol

·
Registered
506 Posts
subscribed wanna see what he broke haha

·
7,336 Posts
hopefully he'll post from a PC and we'll get pics?

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I destroyed the stock rear in my duramax however that won't cause it to seize just not not move. I've also broken an axle shaft and that also won't cause the things he's speaking of.

He could of broke the pinion causing it to seize but then the driveshaft would spin free...it must have somethin to do with the ring and pinion without the pinion shaft itself breaking..... Like if something jammed the gears

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
i have an aluminum driveshaft out of my 05' it has a few knicks in it i can take a pic ofit if you want, save ya some money

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i got to pull it apart the ring and pinion are ok but the locker g80 i belive it is busted up the carrier is cracked and some of the gears fell out i can sping both tires independently by hand they dont engauge anything and i cant sping the drive shaft by hand because the carrier is cracked ill work on posting pics give me a few mins

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pictures ten

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would it fit mine is only an extended cab

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
ouch, similar to mine but a little more carnage.

pull both axle shafts to inspect for damage/swisted splines. if those are ok (probably are) you should be good to go with a new differential, carrier bearing, and driveshaft.

if the trucks planning on being a street/strip warrior may i recommend a Detroit trutrac diff, works wonders in my truck

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you guys think i can get away with just throwing a new g80 in it and if i do that dose i have to adjust the back lash or no since its the same gears i have the idea of what to do with backlash i have just never done it personally

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
now that you mention that why not upgrade since gotta spend the cash anyway i pull with the truck and would like to hit the drag strip sometime what rear do you guys recommend and what are the specs of our trucks for when i order

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
no the shafts are different lenths. hmm maybe thats why my locker dont work kingpins prolly broke in mine,lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts