Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the joints tonight an just happens to see this, the wife only drives it 4 blocks to drop the kiddos off to school an back at the moment. Anyone think it’s much of a problem? Plan on getting a new one but for now it goes 25mph for four blocks an back haha unless she hammers it when I’m not looking 😂😂

Attachments

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Are there any vibrations when driving? If not, then no worries...

Otherwise I'd check with a driveline shop first, before buying new... They can probably rehab it cheaper, if needed....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there was it wasn’t major cause I didn’t feel anything out of place, but I only drove the wife’s route for now cause that’s all we need it for at the moment, thanks for the opinion! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
so long as the shaft is still balanced and true, i dont see that small of a dent mattering. If you have any vibration, take it to a good driveline shop and have them test it for balance and concentricity.

If the shaft ends up being a loss (which i doubt) the same shop can probably just weld new pipe to the existing yolks and save you a bunch of money over a new shaft.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest there’s two dents basically identical to each other on opposite sides. I’d have to think somewhere in it’s past someone tried to change the joints an forgot a vice. When I bought it I crawled under it but I apparently didn’t give it much of look haha had the classic ujoint squeak about a week ago an decided to do it today an found it, maybe being equal dents it’s balanced 😂 but I do plan to replace it at the local joint an spring shop once work let’s up. Thanks again I definitely appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I swapped my two piece out for a custom single piece aluminum and haven't looked back. No more carrier bearings and only 2 u joints to replace every 150K!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts