Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of replacing some Ujoints.. I have the rear of the driveshaft disconnected from the rear axle. Can I slide the front out of the transfer case or do i have to do this work under the truck.. I can see the front of the driveshaft slides back and forth but i havent tried to pull it out cause im not sure if I am supposed to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haven't pulled the drive shaft from my 2500 but on every truck I have it can be slid out. I'm sure it's the same. Some oil may run out of the t-case.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
pull it out, it just slips in and out and yes a little t-case fluid may come out

·
Registered
374 Posts
Slide her out

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it done, what a PITA... The U-joint caps were completely seized into the yokes, took 6 hours, a grinder, torch and a hammer to finally get them replaced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sweet!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was doing some reading and came across a few posts that advised some people to lube the inside of their slip yoke with grease before reinstalling the driveshaft. Is that okay to do? Seems to me that the grease might end up inside the transfer case..

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yes it allows the driveshaft to be able to slip in the yoke when the axle wraps. If it sticks you will get a clunk when stopping then taking off.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it allows the driveshaft to be able to slip in the yoke when the axle wraps. If it sticks you will get a clunk when stopping then taking off.
Ok, so just squirt some grease inside the yoke and spread it around?

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Lube it with Dex 3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts