Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'll make this quick and simple. I have a 2008 LMM on an 8 inch lift. I blew my factory driveshaft out a couple months ago so I took it in and got a custom one made longer. The new one has a loud ticking noise whenever I start from a stop. Everything is tight, ujoints are brand new. Buddy said it was normal, just wanted some other opinions or how I can quiet or stop it. It's only ticks two or three times when I start or let off the throttle but it does get annoying.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Did you pull the differential cover to inspect the gears?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Any metal in the transfer case fluid?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Not that I know of, but I am no expert. Did you grease the U-joints or did you install the sealed joints? What about the slip yoke? Plenty of grease in there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes ujoints can be too tight but if you can move them with your hand they should be good. Jack up rear tires one side at a time and spin wheel over in neutral to help find what side it is coming from. If it comes from one side and not the other Remove the wheel and brakes from that side and do it a gain to narrow down what is making the noise. Do you use the parking brake? My guess is when you remove the brake rotor youll find that the parking brake pads are no longer attached to the shoes and are floating around the drum. Quick and easy to check. Good Luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is it a Aluminum Drive shaft? Also if you put in drive does it click as well as when you accelerate from a stop?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine just started the same thing. Both ujoints changed 5 min ago, still ticking just as a bad ujoint would. It clicks 1-2 times when engaged in drive or revers and then another 3-4 times with greater pressure. It defenately sounds like it's coming from the transfer case side.
I don't know where to look next? Pull the t-case and open her up I guess?
Anyone else have this issue or heard of a t-case with perfect oil have a tick.
My t-case was new 15000 miles old.
Please help!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Mine is all aluminum as well.
I was just going to start a new thread but hey, we both have the same issue.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It also takes a lot of pressure to mimick, I can't make it click by turning tires, has to be engaged in drive or reverse. It's loud enough to be embarrassing for sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Out for a drive and did some investigating, when the e brake is applied the tick is both quieter and less ticks (1-2 rather than 5-6) I'll also add that the ebrake don't work.
I'm going to pull it off tomorrow and see what's up in there. I'm hoping it has something to do with it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I found nothing related to the ticking, I did notice the driver side rear rotor was cutting into the backing plate. I'm not sure if that's comon on these pickups or not but there's nothing loose at all. Maybe previous Bering failure?

I put a stethoscope on anything I could get at while having someone switching back and forth drive to reverse and found it to be the loudest about 3 inches away from the front ujoint on the rear shaft. I'm stumped, the drive line seems to be ok but I found one for sale for $125 so I think I'll just grab it. It'll be good to have a spare kicking around anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It was the drive line. Good as new now
When you say "drive line" do you mean the driveshaft? I have have the exact same noise and I'm fairly sure it is the driveshaft.

·
Registered
577 Posts
A little late I know! Sorry but yeah it was the shaft, I think it was cracked right at the weld on the back. I put another one on and now again I'm getting it. I sure hope it's the ujoint this time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.