Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to this forum but this issue is something I just cannont figure out. If there is a page on the forum that already discusses this just let me know any help would be appreciated.
Background on me I am a very mechanical person with a big background on cars and trucks, but relatively new to actually owning my own diesel. The truck makes a high pitched almost a thin metal to metal pinging sound whenever it hits around 2700 rpm+. The kicker being it only makes the noise whenever it is under a load. So pulling out in front of someone and having to get on the throttle from a stop or whenever it is loaded with a heavy trailer. cruising around 35mph+ and bringing the rpms up there is no noise and when in neutral and bringing the rpms up there is no noise. Road in the bed of the truck and had my buddy drive and it sounded like it was coming from the driveshaft right between the bed and cab area. U-joints seem to be in good shape.

Rarely drive the truck hard since it is my daily. Can't recall a certain time or event when the noise started.

08 Lmm LTZ, PPE tuner level 2, 6inch exhaust from downpipe back, altered air intake.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Id look at the hanger bearing between the front and rear axles. The rubber surrounding the actual bearing shrinks and slips.

If it needs to be replaced Id change that bearing and all three U Joints at the same time.

I just had to do that too. I took it to a driveline shop with the parts from Rock Auto (MUCH cheaper than getting them from that shop) and they replaced all three and then re-balanced the DS. Problem solved

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess that would be something i should have stated. The truck is a short bed so it does not have a carrier bearing between two driveshafts. it just has one solid drive shaft the whole way.

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Ive got an 08 CCSB LTZ and the DS is two piece with the hanger bearing in between.

Did you check for play in the output shaft yoke of the xmsn and input yoke on the Differential?

You might also look at the inside of the rear brake assemblies to see if one of the Parking Brake springs has failed to retract. This could cause the shuddering you mentioned.

This is usually caused by one of the cables seizing inside the sheath. The fix is to cut the sheath with a mini grinder or Dremel tool, releasing the PB spring. Then replace at least the PB cables in the rear and possibly the brake shoes and their related parts. This last requires pulling the rear axles to get access to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then I am not sure. I can promise mines one solid drive shaft all the way from the back of the tranny to the rear diff. Bought the truck used so it may have been something that had been added. It's about a 6" driveshaft under it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts