Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy I have been driving my 2020 Chevy 2500HD Duramax in AWD (Auto Wheel drive) since I picked up from dealer and I just notice most guys drive the truck on RWD. I know it might be a noobie question but it would be nice to see your opinion 馃槑

thanks!!

Premium Member
I didn't know there was an AWD mode. That's bad ass!

But, I would turn it off when not needed to reduce wear and tear on the front drive train and save fuel. Save it for rain or holeshotting yourself into trafic. Especially when making a turn.

Registered
Hey guy I have been driving my 2020 Chevy 2500HD Duramax in AWD (Auto Wheel drive) since I picked up from dealer and I just notice most guys drive the truck on RWD. I know it might be a noobie question but it would be nice to see your opinion 馃槑

thanks!!
I didn't know there was an AWD mode. That's bad ass!

But, I would turn it off when not needed to reduce wear and tear on the front drive train and save fuel. Save it for rain or holeshotting yourself into trafic. Especially when making a turn.
I think it's important to figure out what the normal torque split is. I suspect that these "auto" systems actually do a 0/100 front/rear torque split until slippage is detected, and only then engage the front driveline. If that's so, then leaving it in "auto" all the time is probably fine and won't impact fuel economy or wear on the front end (assuming, also, that the "auto" setting leaves the hubs and any other driveline disconnects in the same state as RWD until it engages the front driveline). On the other hand, if it behaves more like an all-wheel-drive system, then I'd probably just leave it in RWD by default.

If that information is hard to come by, I'd follow @Nitro Junkie's advice and just leave it in RWD, but you can put it in "auto" mode much more liberally than you would 4WD on a more traditional system.

On a somewhat-related note, does anyone know where the disconnects are in the front driveline? For example, in my 2010 Nissan Pathfinder (and my 1997 Pathfinder of years' past, until I swapped the static OEM hubs for locking Warns), the only disconnect is at the transfer case. That means that the entire front driveline is always turning, albeit disconnected, even when in RWD. I know some vehicles have automatically-locking hubs so that when the vehicle is in RWD the front driveline is completely disconnected and doesn't turn at all, and then there are some vehicles that do something similar inside the front diff. Anyone know how the 17-19 and 20+ trucks are set up?

Premium Member
I missed the 'Auto' part. Yes, if it only drives the front wheels when needed, not all the time, I'd leave it on. Anyone who's tried to get out in traffic in an unloaded diesel, and boiled the inside tire knows why.

Our disconnect is on the front diff.

Registered
I missed the 'Auto' part. Yes, if it only drives the front wheels when needed, not all the time, I'd leave it on. Anyone who's tried to get out in traffic in an unloaded diesel, and boiled the inside tire knows why.

Our disconnect is on the front diff.
Thanks. Does it also disconnect at the transfer case?

Premium Member
That's a good question. If it does, I'd guess that it would be a different system than the traditional diff to allow for percentages of torque to be applied.

Registered
I have played with the Auto mode a good bit. I engage it in the rain because i have a hard time keeping the rear end locked up on wet roads with the derringer installed. I havent noticed any reduced fuel milage. Its amazing how smooth it engages, usually dont even feel it kick in. The 04 1/2 ton i had would noticable clunck when it started slipping.

Premium Member
Looking forward to getting a 2021 to pull my DRV Houston that I ... Can't afford. BUT! Maybe by Fall.

Registered
the transfer case on the 2020 has a clutch in it kind of like a motor cycle.. that is how to auto piece is able to function vs being locked in

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
So on RWD I have noticed the rear slips easy on wet pavement at times on dry while making a sharp turn. Now with AWD (Auto) if it slips a bit front ones help. I initially got told from L5P owner to have it on RWD so I got confuse and a little worry

Registered
If you're worried about traction, put it in the "AWD/Auto" mode. If it's dry out, go 2WD. If things really get hairy, just throw it into 4WD and send it!

Registered
I would caution about driving in auto all the time. It tends to bind a little, and I had hub problems, in my 2011, because of it. 2wd for me all the time. If there is any question 4wd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts