Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know that there are several threads on this topic, but I couldnt find the answer to my question. Which is, Can I install drop shackles on ym dually with stock rear springs, and air springs? I would think that the lowering of the springs would give less clearance on the air springs. would it twist the axel at all as well? like move it back? I worry about my airbags not being set up correctly after the drop in the back. The reason I want a drop is because the back end of the dually is so high, and it looks good loaded, but its rarely loaded anymore to tow.

Also, to soften up the rear suspension a little, instead of buying new 2500 leaf spring packs, could i just remove some leaf springs out of the rear? I only tow a snowmobile trailer occasionally, and I have airbags that I can use to help with the load. Would this lower the back end as well?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
69 Posts
Okay so I know that there are several threads on this topic, but I couldnt find the answer to my question. Which is, Can I install drop shackles on ym dually with stock rear springs, and air springs?
Yes.

I would think that the lowering of the springs would give less clearance on the air springs. would it twist the axel at all as well? like move it back?
Drop shackles will raise the axle, roughly half the distance that the shackle difference is. So, in this case, that's 1.5". They're not going to twist anything. The distance moved back would be negligible. the spring pack will do that anyway.

I worry about my airbags not being set up correctly after the drop in the back. The reason I want a drop is because the back end of the dually is so high, and it looks good loaded, but its rarely loaded anymore to tow.
Good idea. they look great lowered.

Also, to soften up the rear suspension a little, instead of buying new 2500 leaf spring packs, could i just remove some leaf springs out of the rear?
You can do just that. Some people remove every other leaf in the pack.

I only tow a snowmobile trailer occasionally, and I have airbags that I can use to help with the load. Would this lower the back end as well?

Thanks in advance
The airbags won't lower the truck. They will only take up the load that the leaves aren't carrying anymore.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.

Drop shackles will raise the axle, roughly half the distance that the shackle difference is. So, in this case, that's 1.5". They're not going to twist anything. The distance moved back would be negligible. the spring pack will do that anyway.

Good idea. they look great lowered.

Also, to soften up the rear suspension a little, instead of buying new 2500 leaf spring packs, could i just remove some leaf springs out of the rear?
You can do just that. Some people remove every other leaf in the pack.

The airbags won't lower the truck. They will only take up the load that the leaves aren't carrying anymore.[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks for the reply. How big of a drop should I go with to make it about even with the front? Also, so I shouldn't have to worry about losing travel in he back due to the airbags being smashed until the metal touches?...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i have the 3/5 drop and i only have 2.5 inches of space between my axle and new bumpstop. if you go with maybe a 2 inch drop and take out your overloads you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So instead of drop shackles, if I just take out some leaf springs that will lower it enough judging by the thickness of the springs. My question is, how many should I take out, and which ones specifically. Meaning like overload spring, then leave the next, take out the one after that, leave the next, ect... Should I do anything else?

How do you take out the leafs? I tried in bolting the clamps but it looks like they don't want to separate,,,

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Id say take out some springs as well. That way it will do everything you want with the better ride. Also, Couldnt you get a lower block for the rear since youll have it apart?

Either way Id get new ubolts. We have a few places here that make them. Id call around to a spring shop or a gear shop. I wouldnt get them from the auto parts store :eek:
What do you mean a lower block? And does anyone know how to get the overload springs separated from the coil pack?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts