Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do to the huge numbers of customers buying DSP tunes and switches, there have been more problems arising.

There can be three reasons why a switch will not change tunes.

1. Switch pins installed incorrectly (99.9% of the time this is the issue)

2. Tune was not Full Flashed in correctly.

3. Faulty switch(over 200 DSP switches out and I've yet to see one bad) Not out of the question, just haven't seen it.

So...I have had customers swear they have checked things 20 times and then I ask which connector they put the pins in, they say the wrong one, wrong pin location, or pins are not seated correctly.

There is a tutorial in the help menu of EFI, please use it.

The LLY tutorial has a picture of the blue connector, this is for signal wire, not DSP signal/ground wires. Make sure you read the print and not just look at pictures.

Also there are PID's to check if your switch is working. You will feel a difference between tunes, so if you don't you have one of the above problems.

You can just ground the "ground side" to a good ground if you feel this pin could be a problem.

If you feel the tune did not load, try full flashing it in again.

PLEASE READ THE INSTALL DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY AND DOUBLE CHECK THINGS CAREFULLY.

If all else fails, I'll send you another switch, but I'm betting that is not the problem. Stick with it, I know you few that have problems can do this install!:rockin

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
I am going to stick this and close it. Thanks for the info Rob

ON EDIT:
Due to concern from other members wanting to post their knowledge on DSP installation this thread is now opened back up

The staff asks that you please keep un-needed posts out of this thread. If you have a question then post it in a new thread.If you have a fix based on yours or others past installations then feel free to post it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
If the tabbed washer falls off while installing the switch and the switch now has too many or too few settings, here is how to correct it.

Remove the washer (if it is still in), turn the switch fully counter clockwise, place the washer tab back in hole#5 and make sure the switch moves 4 clicks which equals 5 tunes.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Don't forget to pull the purple tab out of the harness on the LBZ+ up. The pins wont seat correctly and the switch wont work at all.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Try and take the wire out and make sure the pin is in right. It will go in one way but not all the way, flip it over and it will go so much further.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Make sure you hit the full re-flash button and not the calibrate button after your tuner sends you a DSP5 tune. There are 2 Red icons at the top of the screen. Hit the Full Re-flash one and not the calibrate one. I did this wrong without realizing my mistake and it caused me a lot of Stress.. Just a tip:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my efi live and dsp5 switch today and sent stock tune to nick at dmaxtuner and I am now waiting on tunes to come back, can I go ahead and install the dsp5 switch or do I have to flash the ecm with the new tunes first and is the dsp5 install really as hard as I think?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes, you can full flash the truck first, without a switch, or vice versa, and no i'ts not that hard, there's enough people here to help you if you have problems, so don't worry.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can leave the current tune in the truck and install the switch while you wait on your tuning. Here is the link if you don't have it yet. Just make sure the pins are clocked properly and that they slide in and lock.

Documentation / Tutorials

·
Registered
781 Posts
One quick thing that I learned- didn't unhook the batteries and I guess somehow I must of touched one of the post-and it blew the ECM B fuse in the fuse box under the hood- so if you don’t unhook the batteries and the glow plugs don’t come on when you turn the key on (or the truck start) check the fuse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only problem I had was it did not say where to put the ground wire in the picture instructions at the end. At the top on the pic diagram where it explains where to put the grey wire it has the spot for the black (ground) wire illustrated in blue. Place the black (ground) wire in the sixth slot on the bottom row (same row the dsp2 wire goes). This was not in the detailed pic instructions. Hope this helps.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Figure this may be handy in this forum. The tabbed washer goes in #5 like you see
in the picture.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Also check to make sure the voltage's are set correctly in the tune itself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay I have tried this 4 times now. I have an LBZ the red pin is in the slot right next to the gray wire so from left to right in that row it goes blue, gray, red signal wire correct? i used a tiny allen to push the pin alllllllll the way down. hooked the plugs back together did a full flash of the tunes rob send for the dsp 5 switch and still doesnt work. what is going on? i hooked up the scan tool and the voltage is reading 4.97 and the pid E35DSP5_DMA DSP5 Tune (LBZ-LMM) reads Non DSP any help?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Okay I have tried this 4 times now. I have an LBZ the red pin is in the slot right next to the gray wire so from left to right in that row it goes blue, gray, red signal wire correct? i used a tiny allen to push the pin alllllllll the way down. hooked the plugs back together did a full flash of the tunes rob send for the dsp 5 switch and still doesnt work. what is going on? i hooked up the scan tool and the voltage is reading 4.97 and the pid E35DSP5_DMA DSP5 Tune (LBZ-LMM) reads Non DSP any help?
^^^When you are using the scan tool and testing the switch, it is going to read around that 4.97 and say non dsp in the number 1 position. Switch the knob over to the other positions and record the voltage. What you are seeing is normal (if you are only looking at #1 position.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
^^^When you are using the scan tool and testing the switch, it is going to read around that 4.97 and say non dsp in the number 1 position. Switch the knob over to the other positions and record the voltage. What you are seeing is normal (if you are only looking at #1 position.)
i wish that was the case but i cycle through all 5 tunes and it stays the same
http://serve.mysmiley.net/sign/sign0010.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
haha we have like the exact same parts on our truck performance wise not your lift.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hmm...if your pins are definitely locked in and in the correct positions, you should be ok. Probably dumb to ask now, but you did remove the pink retainer clip while pinning up?

·
Administrator
16,945 Posts
Try grounding at the battery and only putting the signal pin in the harness.

Eliminate possible issues.

Sent from Thunderbolt

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have it grounded that way and yes i removed the pink retaining clip. just so i know i was correct the side of the pin with the metal wedge goes on the same side as the gray wire.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts