Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
16,948 Posts
i have it grounded that way and yes i removed the pink retaining clip. just so i know i was correct the side of the pin with the metal wedge goes on the same side as the gray wire.
I'm confused by some of your comments. You have to remove the pin lock clip to install the pin.

Did the pin slide in easy?

Sent from Thunderbolt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay here we go first disconnected the batteries. popped the top cover of the plug(the piece with the ratchet to lock and unlock the plug) then pulled out the pink retaining clip with a tiny allen. now what i was talking about before it when you hold the pin on the end of dsp the red wire there is one side of the pin with a very thin (what assume to be some type of lock to hold the pin in place once you push it all the way down) wedge. I had the "wedge" on the same side as the grey wire. I was asking to double check that's the way it goes in. it went in smooth untill the pin was not visible then i couldnt get enough grip to push it down. so grabbed that tiny allen and pushed it alll the was down.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been experiencing the same issue with my dsp5 switch. When logging on my LMM, the voltage reads 4.98v on all switch positions and DSP#4. I haven't tried to change the grounding to the frame or straight to the battery, but I might change that and see if that makes a difference. I've checked the pins three times and they are in the right places (I think, according to the tutorials) and they seem pretty well seated. Is there a right way to remove them?

Thanks much for any insights,

·
Administrator
16,948 Posts
I've been experiencing the same issue with my dsp5 switch. When logging on my LMM, the voltage reads 4.98v on all switch positions and DSP#4. I haven't tried to change the grounding to the frame or straight to the battery, but I might change that and see if that makes a difference. I've checked the pins three times and they are in the right places (I think, according to the tutorials) and they seem pretty well seated. Is there a right way to remove them?

Thanks much for any insights,
Do you have a DSP5 tune flashed on?

Here is a write up I did for removing pins.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...166-how-remove-broken-stuck-ecm-terminal.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't currently have a DSP5 tune flashed on because we were down on the Oregon Coast and were having problems with that tune so I flashed in the stock tune to get us home. Before that, I did have a DSP5 tune in and that is when I initially saw the problem.

·
Administrator
16,948 Posts
I don't currently have a DSP5 tune flashed on because we were down on the Oregon Coast and were having problems with that tune so I flashed in the stock tune to get us home. Before that, I did have a DSP5 tune in and that is when I initially saw the problem.
When you can flash a DSP5 tune back on the truck data log again.

We can start troubleshooting from there.

Maybe post a pic of where the wire is landed in the ECM harness.

I'll help you T/S step by step from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll get something loaded up tomorrow afternoon after work and post some pics.

Thx much!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've loaded up a new tune from Justin and had to adjust the voltage in the dsp#4 parameter table that was set to 5.000 instead of 0.5. My results were that the voltage when logging still shows 4.98v but the other PID shows Non-DSP where it used to say DSP#4. When I get home later and run the dogs for a few minutes, I plan to disconnect the batteries and take another look at the pins. I'll see if I can't get some pics and perhaps try to r & r the pins. This whole thing has me pretty worn out.

Thx

Jeff

·
Administrator
16,948 Posts
I've loaded up a new tune from Justin and had to adjust the voltage in the dsp#4 parameter table that was set to 5.000 instead of 0.5. My results were that the voltage when logging still shows 4.98v but the other PID shows Non-DSP where it used to say DSP#4. When I get home later and run the dogs for a few minutes, I plan to disconnect the batteries and take another look at the pins. I'll see if I can't get some pics and perhaps try to r & r the pins. This whole thing has me pretty worn out.

Thx

Jeff
You have an issue with your pins being seated. Call me and I can walk you through troubleshooting.

I recommend getting a normal size safety pin to start.

I would ground the ground at the battery and then only have the one pin to worry about.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Thx

Jeff
Does the voltage change when you turn on the switch?

·
Registered
64 Posts
could you please post pictures of the location of the wire on your lmm? or LBZ? greatly appreciated

·
Registered
104 Posts
I purchased a pre-tuned ecm with efi/dsp5 switch. I'm having lack of power issues and throttle response. The truck performs similar to a stock lb7. I have to put the peddle to the passing point to get it to go hwy speeds.

I have brought the truck to several different places to have it looked at. None of them have been able to find anything mechanically wrong with it. Trust me, everything has been checked. Bal. rates are good, cp3 is good, rail pressure is good, return rates are good, filters good, map sensor clean, air filter clean, coolant temp. sensor new, boost is good, no smoke, starts fine, idles fine, no codes, throttle position sensor.

The guy that I brought it to today is a diesel performance shop, so he knows his stuff. He drove it, scanned it and physically inspected it with no mechanical issues. He agreed that it lacked throttle response.

He checked to make sure that I had wired the dsp5 to the correct holes. They were in the right holes and were seated.

When we drove the truck today, he switched the tunes on the fly and I could feel the tunes changing. It appears that everything is hooked up correct, but its just not running right.

Is there something that I'm missing??? I'm hoping that it is something simple to get fixed. I am very frustrated........ Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
i know it is pretty easy but is there a DIY write up on installing the pretuned ECM and dsp5 on a lb7 on here anywhere?

·
Registered
526 Posts
a little helpful tip for when installing wires in ecm plug- when you slide the pins in, they will go pretty easily in one position only. The other 3 ways you try are hard. The easy way is the correct position. As a reference, it will slide in quite a ways more after you can no longer see the any of the connector exposed. If you have a tough time installing the purple lock, it's not in all the way. Take a small paperclip and slide it in between the wire and the housing it slides into and push down on the back of the pin where its crimped. It should pop right in and the purple clip will then slide in effortlessly.

Also, personally, i grounded the black wire to a firewall ground instead of the ecm pin for 2 reasons. Less messing with the ecm connector and less stress mounting it to a stud and not worrying about it chaffing on the strain relief of the ecm connector.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As a reference, it will slide in quite a ways more after you can no longer see the any of the connector exposed.
I couldn't agree more! Make sure you seat them as deep as they will go... there should be an audible click when they have reached the proper depth. I found this out the hard way when my truck was stuck in Hot race and wouldn't cycle tunes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i just recently got efi. i did not order a dsp5 switch because i have a edge insight cts. when i full flashed efi into my truck and hooked the edge back up i went to options and turn efi live ON but it wont let me change tunes. stuck on tune 1. i did some research and learned it has to be on serial and not hardwire but idk how to switch that. i have a autocal not a v2 if that makes a difference. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I purchased a pre-tuned ecm with efi/dsp5 switch. I'm having lack of power issues and throttle response. The truck performs similar to a stock lb7. I have to put the peddle to the passing point to get it to go hwy speeds.

I have brought the truck to several different places to have it looked at. None of them have been able to find anything mechanically wrong with it. Trust me, everything has been checked. Bal. rates are good, cp3 is good, rail pressure is good, return rates are good, filters good, map sensor clean, air filter clean, coolant temp. sensor new, boost is good, no smoke, starts fine, idles fine, no codes, throttle position sensor.

The guy that I brought it to today is a diesel performance shop, so he knows his stuff. He drove it, scanned it and physically inspected it with no mechanical issues. He agreed that it lacked throttle response.

He checked to make sure that I had wired the dsp5 to the correct holes. They were in the right holes and were seated.

When we drove the truck today, he switched the tunes on the fly and I could feel the tunes changing. It appears that everything is hooked up correct, but its just not running right.

Is there something that I'm missing??? I'm hoping that it is something simple to get fixed. I am very frustrated........ Thanks!
Then it's a tuner issue, why did you spend all that time chasing a mechanical issue when it's a tuning issue? Who is the tuner?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
i just recently got efi. i did not order a dsp5 switch because i have a edge insight cts. when i full flashed efi into my truck and hooked the edge back up i went to options and turn efi live ON but it wont let me change tunes. stuck on tune 1. i did some research and learned it has to be on serial and not hardwire but idk how to switch that. i have a autocal not a v2 if that makes a difference. any help will be greatly appreciated.
The tunes are locked. The tuner will have to change it for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
i contacted the tuner and it was set up as serial which it should be to be able to change tunes from the edge. and another thing that i dont understand is its on one of the tunes bc its not stock..

21 - 40 of 59 Posts