Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im am speaking with a tuner now and he suggested to save me a little money to just do a DSP. I personally would like to have the V2 so that I could scan in case I threw a code or something like this. Considering the shop is not just right around the conner.

Will a V2 tell me everything that I may need to know about my truck in case something goes wrong?

What would be another reason to get the V2 with the DSP? Beside doing my own tunes and scan.

Or should I just save my money and do a DSP?

Is there another scan tool that would do the same for me as the V2 that would be cheaper? As far as scanning, not writing tunes.

I would possibly like to do my own tunes but that would be after I learn how to use it. SO that may take a little while. This tuner said that he would change my tunes at anytime in the future to what I may need. And that seem pretty sweet and fair to me. Thanks for the input :drink

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
as for scanning a decent scanner is like $100 and even tells you what the codes mean...dont waste the money if you dont plan on tuning but IMO the v2 is great to have n play around with plus makes changing tunes easier

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy it and learn.

The V2 can't do everything but it can do a lot
"Buy it learn it" so you know what EFI is about or so you can do your own tunes? Do you do your own tunes?

as for scanning a decent scanner is like $100 and even tells you what the codes mean...dont waste the money if you dont plan on tuning but IMO the v2 is great to have n play around with plus makes changing tunes easier
Now wouldn't the DSP make it easy to change between tunes? Or are you saying to change how the tune works in your truck?

Anyone else?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I bought EFI Live a week after I bought my truck. I knew nothing about tuning, nearly 3 years later Im getting to know a lot of it, but still no expert. I dont spend a lot of time sitting on my EFI Live but I do enjoy working with it.

By purchasing EFI Live V2 you always have the ability to modify the tune to your likings. By purchasing tunes from good tuners you can get a baseline on how things are changed and what things are changed. Once you figure out what each table means and does you can then go on to learn how they all interact. Once you figure that out, you can learn what works and what doesn't in your truck. You will also learn that Logging Data is your friend. Once you have all of that down your a Novice tuner.

Its a huge and scary learning curve, but in the end well worth it if you put your mind to it.

The DSP5 allows you to have 4 tunes to put in your truck including the stocker. The ECM switches programming by seeing different voltages from the potentiometer, according to the voltage it sees the ECM will alter 10 different tables that you preprogram into the computer. Its a sophisticated setup but works well. the only downside to the DSP5 is that everytime you turn that switch the trans needs to relearn, however this holds true for any programmer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.