Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a idea the other day. I went with a keyed switch for myself because I like the idea of being able to set it to stock and take the key out if someone else was driving that I didnt want to mess with my tunes.

I didnt really care much for the look of a key hanging out on my dash like this...

IMAG1033.jpg

So, I made this...

IMAG1023.jpg

Which looks like this...

IMAG1031.jpg

I like to tinker and so for a few buck$ and a few minutes of my time I feel I have the best of both worlds.

:thumb

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Thats pretty sweet!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Looks good where do you get the keyed switch?

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
263 Posts
i do like that idea

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Subscribed I would like to see where you got the switch from too. That is really cool!

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
I like it! Might have to copy you when I get mine???

·
Registered
302 Posts
nicely done! also curious where the switch came from

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Rob sells the locking switch now.

What did you use to make the knob?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Me want!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I like.. good idea

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's pretty nice if I say so my self!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many of the efi live dealers sell them. Mine came from ATP Trucks. I will try to pick up a knob and make another one but do a writeup. At the least I will get a p/n off the knob. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Will the key come out in any position?

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
That looks nice!! good work!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is what I did.

I went to True Value and bought some epoxy and had them cut me a couple of keys.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a knob. I think this is the one except mine doesnt have the little square on top like this picture shows. Control Knob - RadioShack.com

I cut the key down something like this...
key2.jpg

I shortned up the knob. If you look at the picture in the above radioshack linkyou can see where it transititons from textured to smooth at the back of the knob. I cut off the smooth part and shortened it up.

The key then will fit in the center of the knob. I set the set screw against the edge of the key and then filled up any excess space with some epoxy.

IMAG1026.jpg

this is a poor write up but should give a idea of how i did it.

thanks

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
Seems pretty straight forward. Nice write up. That's a good idea if you don't like the look of the DSP5 knob. You can find any knob and modify it, epoxy it to the key. Also nice to be able to lock out your big tunes if someone else has your truck. I'm definitely gonna do this! Gonna add one of those name plates from Rockin a Laser too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts