Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the backstory, due to the economy I'm pretty much getting out of my hauling business, but I like my truck, and due to the term of a really complicated situation I can't get rid of it anyhow. So it seems that keeping a 3500 as a daily driver it will at least last forever. But since I'm not hauling big stuff anymore, and I don't even want to get back into it, I'd like to convert it to a single wheel. The truck is a 2006 3500 4x4 crew Cab. Can anybody tell me what is involved in converting it to single wheel? Would also be interested in trading parts if someone else were looking to go the other way.

Also, I've been having a hard time finding a water pump other than OEM, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
to convert it to single all you would have to do is take off the back wheels, then take the spacers that are on the front and put them on the back and get ya a set of regular 8 lug wheels. oh yeah, and change the bed too. Im pretty sure thats all ya gotta do to change from drw to srw.

·
Registered
425 Posts
take off one tire!!! ahah sorry you got me beat!!:Nothingtoadd

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O yeah, bed isn't in perfect shape, but it's not horrible, none of the major holes in the side plastic, just a small one way down low that you hardly notice, dark blue scratches. If I do this it will be available. The tailgate is pretty much shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to convert it to single all you would have to do is take off the back wheels, then take the spacers that are on the front and put them on the back and get ya a set of regular 8 lug wheels. oh yeah, and change the bed too. Im pretty sure thats all ya gotta do to change from drw to srw.
Are you sure? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just seems way to easy, and shit just doesn't go that easy for me this year.... I really hope your right though.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
im not 110% sure, but if i were a bettin man id bet that i read that somewhere on this forum. If you didnt want to put the spacers in the rear then you could get a rear axel from a 3/4 ton. The rear axels are shorter on duallies then the ones on single wheel based trucks

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
sorry to hear all the trouble..it realy isnt hard at all to convert the newer duallys to single wheel.
you can switch the bed over to a single wheel bed or leave it,thats up to you! now for the wheels,remove the rear wheels and bolt the SRW wheels up and then the front take the wheels off along with the 6inch spacers and then bolt the SRW wheels on! the rear axle will be set out roughly 1/2-3/4inch wider(on both sides)then the front so there will be a slight offset but it wount hurt anything!
hope this helps

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
how did conversion go im about tp do it

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like he hasn't been on here in 2 years... so unless he gets notifications from this thread still..... well, I wouldn't hold my breath. :rolleyes:
Have you searched around the forum? It sounds like other's have done this as well.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
ive tried havent found shit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.