Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post...please bare with me.

Ok so to start the story I have a 2015 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually. I had the factory denali wheels and tires and never the slightest problem. I had a leveling kit (cognito arms) installed with the factory wheels and tires, and still no problem. I order the Mayhem Monstir chrome 20" wheels and Pro Comp 275/60R20 extreme all terrains (Last set in this size nationwide due to being discontinued) and had them installed using balance beads. Vehicle shook from around 45mph+. I went the next day and had the beads removed and had the tires balanced. Still shook, so I took it to another shop and had them road force balanced. Still shook and they said that the tires were ALL showing as out of round by the road force machine. I called procomp and they said it was hard to believe, but even if one was out of round they couldn't do much since they don't make that tire anymore. They gracefully offered me a selection of other tires to choose from and I chose a 275/65R20 Toyo AT2. I drove to Tulsa, OK to do the swap at their request and had the tires mounted and balanced at discount tire. tires were worse! I appeared my wheels were going to fall off when I got home. After further inspection, the inner rears weren't drilled for the knurling on the studs so I had them drilled to sit flush on the rear hubs and they were a bit better but now shook around 55mph-65mph+. I went back to the shop who did the original road force in NW ark and they road force balanced them a little better, but still shook. I went at the request of the guy who I bought the wheels from and tried getting the truck re-aligned. No better, I tried adding a stabilizer, no better, I tried adding the cognito braces, not much better, I replaced the lug nuts with a different brand, no better. This weekend I drove the truck to Memphis, TN for mothers day and had to pull over a couple hours into the drive because my wife was getting nasueua from the high intensity vibrations. I took the truck to Gateway tire and they messed with it for 5 hours trying to figure it out (They had 5 duallys there on Saturday getting everything from tires, wheels, to alignments so at least they were familiar) After working on them for awhile, they dismounted a front tire and spun just the wheel on their machine and it came back with an error that there was hub center error. They checked the other front tire and it said the same thing. At this point I was frustrated and just said to throw some counteract bead balance beads in the two rear outers since they had no weights on them from sligning them off driving, and the fronts and I would go back to Arkansas and deal with it there. While thinking about it more, are these wheels even hub centric? with a shank style lug nut, I don't see how they could be. After the work they did, the truck drove better than it has with the new wheels. It still has a vibration from 65-70 and up though. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do and have spent over $1000 after the purchase trying to chase this virbration down. It isn't a violent shake or anything, just a vibration. Imagine sitting your coke in the cupholder and it splashing around just a bit up on to the side of the bottle. I'm at the point where I want to put my stock wheels and tires back on, but I've got almost $6000 into a set of tires and wheels I don't know what to do with. This is my first dually, so I hope I'm just missing something simple. any help would be appreciated. I might have forgotten some of the steps I took, just ask and I will do my best to elaborate about anything. Sorry for the long winded post...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever figure it out ? I have a 2018 with monstir wheels and the exact same problem . Let me know if you figured it out it’s getting very annoying . 4 times still the same shake at 47 mph

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ dually
6 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2022 silverado 3500 dually as well, with similar vibration issues. I replaced the stock Michelin tires 235/80/17 and went to Toyo AT 275/70/17 and thats when the vibrations started. I had the shop constantly checking balancing issues, so then I decided to go with 285/70/17 Cooper AT3 XLT’s thinking maybe a bit bigger tire and a drop in tire pressure adjustments would help. It reduced, but still around (So annoying). Ive been reading somewhere that taking a dually to a commercial truck place so they can balance on the vehicle. Supposedly that has helped, so i need to find a commercial truck place that can do this. Hopefully I can get this done once and for all.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2022 silverado 3500 dually as well, with similar vibration issues. I replaced the stock Michelin tires 235/80/17 and went to Toyo AT 275/70/17 and thats when the vibrations started. I had the shop constantly checking balancing issues, so then I decided to go with 285/70/17 Cooper AT3 XLT’s thinking maybe a bit bigger tire and a drop in tire pressure adjustments would help. It reduced, but still around (So annoying). Ive been reading somewhere that taking a dually to a commercial truck place so they can balance on the vehicle. Supposedly that has helped, so i need to find a commercial truck place that can do this. Hopefully I can get this done once and for all.
Find a shop that can Road Force Balance them, that has help most with vibration issues.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would look at making sure you are centered on the pilot. We use two tapered lug nuts 180 degs from each other to snug up wheels and center pilot. Then install and torque remaining 6 lug nuts. Finally, remove the two tapered lug nuts and install remaining lug nuts. The wheels may have a high tolerance on wheel pilot vs hub. They will shake no matter what until the pilot is centered. GM has been tightening pilot tolerances over time which is good for shake but sometimes you have to beat the wheel off the hub.

#iworkforGM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts