Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday i was servicing my truck and i had the key switch turned on letting the electric fuel pump pump the filter up it pumped up and my gf was standing there and i clearly told her to turn the key off. needless to say from the title she didnt because the truck had no oil in it yet. becauseim anal about trying to get every drop of oil out so i sit there and let it drip. but she crunk it up and it ran for like not even a second. but what i am wanting to know is if it messed anything up by that happening?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't think it caused any damage, if it was just for a brief moment like you said, most likely not. There is a good enough oil film on all the rotating parts to protect them. After you added your oil and started the engine again, how long did it take for the oil light to go out ? Probably not more then a second or two.
I would look at it just like when you are doing a regular oil change, for a brief moment there is no oil pressure after you changed your oil.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very true point there

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't think it caused any damage, if it was just for a brief moment like you said, most likely not. There is a good enough oil film on all the rotating parts to protect them. After you added your oil and started the engine again, how long did it take for the oil light to go out ? Probably not more then a second or two.
I would look at it just like when you are doing a regular oil change, for a brief moment there is no oil pressure after you changed your oil.
Have to agree here, no damage done

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
x2 but that would scare me shitless. like he said it's probably not any worse than the first few seconds after the oil change when there's no pressure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was changing oil and fuel filter there aint no need to use the hand primer when you have a electric pump

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea she got chewed on perty good haha

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I'm just not sure how you confuse those two actions.. turning truck power off, or starting the truck. lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naw she didnt she wouldnt talk to me the rest of the night which was kinda good cause i got some piece and quiet lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea thats one of the things i chewed on her about crank it up only means crank it up and off means off

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well most of all you did not get hurt by the fan or something.

·
Registered
108 Posts
naw she didnt she wouldnt talk to me the rest of the night which was kinda good cause i got some piece and quiet lol
You wanted some "piece and quiet"? Does that mean you took matters in to your own hand(s)? :rof

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, look at the bright side, at least she didn't hit the accelerator pedal and revved up your engine a few times. And yes some girls have a problem with off/on or even left and right, maybe we need to remember that when asking for help Noomore

·
Registered
625 Posts
Regardless you should never cycle the key on until it is safe to be started. Just a good practice. With an electric pump it don't take a couple second before it will start

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
My brothers friend recently bought a cummins with a toast motor.
It ran for 3 days (15mi a day approx) before it croaked.
The previous owner took it to a jiffy lube that forgot to refill the oil after draining it. Drove it for three days and then it siezed up.
I wouldn't worry about a few seconds of idle with no oil. Jmo

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Oh and if your gf finds out that you chewed her out for basically nothing...lol
Atleast if it were my gf she'd have my head!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Post a picture and we'll tell you if you should dump her or not :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts