Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '05 duraburb (LBZ) with cooling issues while towing my camper. it cools fine on relatively flat ground, even during summer temps, but this fall travelling over the rockies it was continually over heating, both engine and tranny. once it got hot i could pull over and idle for 20 minutes and temps would drop to normal. i didn't build it but i am guessing the LBZ crammed into the burb's engine compartment, and stock coolers just can't keep up at high loads.

looking for recommendations on aftermarket radiators and tranny coolers.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Since no one has responded, here goes. First let me say I am new to diesels, and have no expert/experience advice with your truck. But I have 30 old cars most stuffed with oversized engine compared to stock. Some cannot be stuck in SoCal summer traffic. See if you have a heavy duty radiator like might have came with a tow package, I have/use aluminum two core 1 1/4 inch cores. On my duramax project I am locating the intercooler under the truck.To keep air to radiator as cool as possible. On one project we used 30 inch round finned trans coolers, (single pass) machined the ends added 1 1/2 “ tube ends for radiator hose and used a meziere electric water pump, my truck will have the same. Also I am adding the “Mike L” trans cooler, and remote engine oil cooler. I have no ideas to the inner fender panels on your truck, they may need to be there for structural integrity, but I have a few cars where they were eliminated. To get more cooling air in, the air that has passed through the radiator must get out. Another way is to adjust the hood hinge to raise the rear of hood. It may cost to have it cool for use, but pulling over is a pain.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Forgot to add I use Evans coolant, I’m old and my disc is full so there may be some other tricks I forgot

1 - 3 of 3 Posts