Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around gas engines my whole life and just bought my first Dmax two weeks ago. I don't know jack about diesels. Nothing. I want to learn the ins and outs of duramax engines just like the small blocks I've built and love.

Anyone have any recomendations of books that I can buy to learn more about these things? The forum is great, but I'd like a book that covers everything versus having to search threads.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've never heard of such a book. I have found everythihg i need to know just by reading in here though.
Do you want like a factory service manual with exploded views of everything or what?

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
I mean you could probably get a haynes manual or whatever those are. I don't know if that takes you inside the engine or not though. I kinda doubt it. Maybe talk to a service tech at a GM dealership and they could try to point you the right direction

·
Registered
628 Posts
with the forums you have access to more info than any book will ever hold......just pick a subject and search it. You'll be reading for hours.

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yeah but if hes building engines hes gonna want torque specs and measurements and tolerances, ect... I'm sure you could dig that up on here somewhere but its nice to have it all sitting in a book in front of you that can be thrown around on the garage floor while your doing stuff. Unlike a lap top. There is more info here than you could ever even want to read. But I absolutely understand wanting a book. Was re-doing the starter clutch on a 4 wheeler the other day and im covered in grease tryin to search quad forums on my $1500 laptop thats sitting on top of some tools.. Not cool.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
you won't find better information than right here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have several books about building and hot rodding Chevy small blocks so I'm looking for something similar to that. They cover the history, blocks, intake, camshafts, rotating assemblies, fuel injection/carbs, etc. I know a lot about Chevy small blocks and gasoline engines in general, but I've always (more or less) refused to learn about diesels because I've always owned and built small blocks.

I'm sure I could find the information I'm looking for through searches but you can't completely dismiss the importance of books.

There is a lot of BS in forums and I am so new to diesels that I wouldn't be able to spot the BS. I've heard from several people that this is the forum I need to be in, so I am here. I'm sure there are people on here that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and I want to be able to spot them.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I went into this diesel thing the same way as you, except with an import performance background. I had no idea how anyting diesel worked. Now however, i'm pretty well versed in diesels, just from asking questions on here and other forums over the past 5 years. It does take a lot of reading and double checking just to verify information, because like you said, there's a lot of misinformation out there.
LIke in any other world too, there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak, and everyone has their preference. DOesn't mean one way is better than another though.
you just have to ask specific questions after doing some research to get good answers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts