Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado with the DuraMax. The truck only has 79,000 miles on it. We use it primarily to tow a 12000# fifth wheel back and forth to FL from NH every winter. We're snowbirds. We use the truck daily when in FL but it stays parked most of the time when we're back in NH.
Recently, the check engine light came on and to make a long story short, I had to have the turbo charger replaced at a cost of $3300.00. OUCH.
Once the turbo was out, we found that all the vanes were stuck and would not rotate/open and it was loaded with carbon. I think when the truck was up to temperature, they would open a little but not all the way.
My question is what should or can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is there any fuel additive which will keep the turbo clear of carbon?
I know Wynns puts out a product for cleaning the turbo but I don't know if that's the way to go.
https://www.amazon.com/WYNNS-Diesel-Cleaner-Carbon-Remover/dp/B01JZ7VZNE

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coking is a problem with turbos, I use Revive Turbo Clean to get my turbo working again, and a year later still working fine , the dealer also want to replace my turbo for $3000, but tried the Revive Turbo and it worked
https://www.reviveturbocleaner.ca/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Would probably help for it to see more exercise throughout the year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
Would probably help for it to see more exercise throughout the year.

So you're saying that when it sits it's causing the issue'uhNo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once a year you can use a maintenance dosage of revive(about half the full amount), this will keep it clean. I haven’t done this yet this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm interested in how a water based cleaner sprayed into an unfiltered, unmetered intake path is going to free up stuck vanes.
Works on all 4 stroke turbocharged & turbo diesel engines like Chevrolet corvette...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'm interested in how a water based cleaner sprayed into an unfiltered, unmetered intake path is going to free up stuck vanes.
Works on all 4 stroke turbocharged & turbo diesel engines like Chevrolet corvette...

The Factory Corvette does not have turbochargers they are superchargers. Big difference..... Going to use this on my 2020 after 30k just to keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
You will lose the exhaust brake with a fixed vane turbo, correct?
Use it or lose it.
I feel like use of the Turbo Brake can also be deemed a maintenance tool. :wink2:

So you're saying that when it sits it's causing the issue'uhNo
They like to be used...8k miles a year...not much use.
TB use during the limited time driven, I think would help.

Reactions: ieetgluu

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The Factory Corvette does not have turbochargers they are superchargers. Big difference..... Going to use this on my 2020 after 30k just to keep it clean.
I'm aware. It's listed in the examples on that product page. It kinda goes to my point.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Now that I think of it, I probably put far less than 8k on mine per year now that I have a company van. It also lives in NH year-round. No vane issues but I drive it occasionally and let 'er eat here and there. Also plow the driveway so it doesn't sit all winter either. It certainly sits more than it probably should and has always enjoyed eating batteries when it sits too much.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Now that I think of it, I probably put far less than 8k on mine per year now that I have a company van. It also lives in NH year-round. No vane issues but I drive it occasionally and let 'er eat here and there. Also plow the driveway so it doesn't sit all winter either. It certainly sits more than it probably should and has always enjoyed eating batteries when it sits too much.

How often does it eat batteries? I usually run the oem ones a year or so then go to AGM..

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
How often does it eat batteries? I usually run the oem ones a year or so then go to AGM..
Ya I might go back to agm. Currently has regular cheap duracells, roughly 2 years old. It recently sat for 3-4 weeks and the batts were at like 2.5v. Was able to finally squeeze a charge back in them(after the 6/12v charger thought it was 6v and stopped) but I'm sure it didn't do them any good. Been years since I've done a draw test on it.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ya I actually had one of those plugged in during the time it drew down. A slightly larger, non harbor freight version. Was surprised to find them that low.
Have another solar charger meant to be outdoors I've used on my atv in the past. Would still find the battery to be flat. Haven't used the solar charger on the atv in a while and the battery seems to always fire it up for now. And that thing sits way more than the truck.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Going to use what to keep it clean?
The product being discussed in this thread for my 2020 Duramax. Run what I consider to be the best catch can out on my C7 Z06 plus with all of the engine work, heads, blower, etc the E85 conversion and meth injection keep it pretty clean in there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts