Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've seen the claims that the duramax exhaust pipe can blow hot exhaust back on your travel trailer (especially in regen) and melt the front of a guys trailer. I'm wondering if any of you have had first hand experience with this? I haven't seen anyone with actual pictures of this happening. Is this only happening to fifth wheels that would have the front of the trailer closer to the exhaust pipe? Or is this happening to bumper pull trailers as well?

The reason I ask is I have a hard time understanding why if this is a known issue that GM would not do something about it? My neighbor drives a 2017 Chevy LTZ with a stock exhaust pipe. He pulls an enclosed snowmobile trailer and travel trailer and he says he's never experienced any issues. I would think GM would fix it if this was happening but I did read somewhere that someone was claiming GM says not to have anything within 10ft of the exhaust pipe when towing. I have not seen this from GM myself but that definitely does not mean its not true.

What are the best options out there to fix this? I guess mostly what I've seen is the option from Banks and I've seen several guys complain that they rust like a son of b. The last thing I want is to start cutting on my new truck and adding something that is going to rust within a year (where I live they heavily salt the roads in the winter). I don't figure any of them will offer any true performance gain like they claim but is there a real risk of melting a bumper pull RV during regen with the stock pipe?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have pulled my 5th wheel through a regen in slow moving/stop and go traffic, all done in 98 degree temps. Lower front still looks new (well, except for all the dang bugs!)

Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
I understood it as a problem on aftermarket exhaust that doesn't have the vent holes that allow it to suck in outside air to mix with what's coming out of the tail pipe.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have had three different Duramax trucks from 2012 and now a 18. None of them damaged my fifth wheel. I would think the ones that you heard of had something wrong with them. I have never seen anything like that posted here about it, but have never searched for it either.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. This is refreshing to hear! Makes me feel better that I won't have to go out and spend even more money once I get mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 17 3500 CC duramax dually and I installed a MRB stainless steel 5" 90 turned at a 45 degree angle down I cut abdot 13" off the 5" tail pipe and it slid right on. When I'm towing and its raining getting on the freeway it blows water off the road it will also blow dust on a dirt road if you accelerate fast. So I know its blowing exhaust away from my 5r. Its been on for 3 years with no problens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The exhaust tip has a 5" ID inlet and 5" outlet and is a 90 degree bend made by MBRP and is 14" long. It is SS tubing and would never fit if it was 6" OD it is 5" tubing swaged to slide over a 5" OD exhaust tip.
The link that I posted has a few photos/reviews of L5P's with this tip. That's why I thought that is what we need.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was the one that I posted the link to incorrect? Because I'd like to get one ordered ASAP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never had anything on a trailer meltdown but it made me nervous so here was my solution. The tip adds 30 degree the pipe.
IMG_E0384-1.jpg

I ended up using a handheld cut off grinder to cut all but 3 inches of the 5 inch section of exhaust.

I had it 6 weeks now and working great so far and I really like how it changes the look of the truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks good Bullwinkle! Can you tell me if that's the same one that I posted, except black?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good Bullwinkle! Can you tell me if that's the same one that I posted, except black?
I think it is. The one I pictured is blacked stainless steel. I bought mine on Amazon for around 125 dollars
If you google for tips with 5 inch ID their are a lot to choose from. One option I considered was a intercooler 6 inch, that way your exhaust gas gets cooled twice ....

Below is the link to the polished stainless version of the same tip

·
Registered
106 Posts
My guess would be that it's an after market exhaust shooting straight back, rather than out to the side like OEM.
That exhaust can get really hot and wouldn't want it shooting straight at my fifthwheel.
I've got 18K on my '18 with almost all that towing, had 115K on my '11 before trading and again almost all of it towing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts