Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know some of you guys' experiences of hauling & towing heavy loads...20,000# GCVW and above. Especially the 3500 duallies.... How has the LBZ engine and Allison performed on the flatlands and on 6% grades? Heating issues, engine stress, is there plenty of power? Another concern is the engine life (duty cycle) for trucks that are being used with continuous heavy loading....Commercial use, gooseneck trailers, heavy 5ers. Any input would be appreciated!!:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I only do 17,500. 5,000 in the bed and 5,000 on the hitch. Does very well. Tow haul holds everyting back well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My truck seems to do pretty good we have 30ft. gooseneck that i haul a Cat 420 backhoe around on and it does fine. Its been to Waverly, Iowa and Florida pulling a 24ft. stock trailer with 15head of Main Anjou cows that weighed around 1400 on avg. I love mine its not even a dually. No heating issues or anything crazy with the tranny.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have a customer that had a lifted 3500 he used to pull his Big Tex trailer with a Case 520 Super M+ back hoe. The hoe weighs about 18500 lbs, plus teh trailer and attachments. He installed 4.10 gears cause of teh lift and 35" tires, but even stock it pulled great. nice truck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would like to know some of you guys' experiences of hauling & towing heavy loads...20,000# GCVW and above. Especially the 3500 duallies.... How has the LBZ engine and Allison performed on the flatlands and on 6% grades? Heating issues, engine stress, is there plenty of power? Another concern is the engine life (duty cycle) for trucks that are being used with continuous heavy loading....Commercial use, gooseneck trailers, heavy 5ers. Any input would be appreciated!!:
If you get an oil temperature gauge, you will see the weak point in longevity. When I saw my 280 degree oil temp gauge pegged off the scale on a hot, heavy pull, i decided something needed to be done. GM has nicely hidden a real problem issue. The oil cooler has made all the difference, haven't gotten over 220 degrees since. Makes me feel much better. And my allison temp is lower also.

OIL COOLING ARTICLE

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 02 pulls a 20ft tag along 2 5/16 ball with load equalizer bars, with 18K-20K pounds from Lexington Ky to Pie Town New Mexico. I haul complete log cabin kits and put them together on site. The truck does fine but only gets 9mpg. but that is a hell of a load! It only warms up a bit when climbing from 5500 ft. elevation to 6800 ft. Its a long haul !! I usually pull over and let her idle for a few minutes until the guage begins to fall then complete the pull.
Running home empty with a 4500Lb. trailer I get 14mpg. No trailer I get 19-23 mpg. if I stay below 2000 RPM. She has 253K miles so far.
GO BOWTIE !!!!!!:rockin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i don't haul heavy all the time but have been known to do some serious loads such as one time with a load of logs from kentucky and scaled at 41k and that was when the truck(05 LLY DRW)was stock and it never got to hot allthough it did work hard,but i have a friend that has a 07 LBZ standard cab DRW and hauls regular 20k to 25k and never has any trouble with his,oh ya and his son trying out to play for the NFL Jaguars..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its real easy to forget what you are getting done with these trucks and what you are asking them to do for you. I,ve almost forgotten what it was like to force a small block to do my bidding. Different world with these diesels !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts