Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I bought my truck used last summer from a dealership and it already had 180,000 miles, B&W Turnover Hitch, 315/70R-17 tires and a Banks Six Gun Diesel Tuner (that wasn't hooked up correctly). I'm pretty sure it was a work truck for someone because there are couple of small antennas on the top of the cab with coax cables coming into the cab and a small radio mount on the passenger side (not CB antennas) plus the hitch and high mileage. I have no clue how it was maintained or anything about it. It seems to run great and no major issues right now other than worn idler and pitman arms which I'm replacing today. I'm trying to get an idea of the life expectancy for this truck and Duramax Diesels in general. I Love my truck and don't want to replace it anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
ive seen guys with 400,000-600,000 miles on their duramax, your biggest problem will be injectors, any idea if theyve been changed? the truck is probably just out of the warranty for coverage so it might be on your hands to pay for that if they havent been done already

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran into the injector issue and dumping fuel into the engine oil just before it was too late for the dealer to eat them. They were replaced at about 185,000 miles. I've also replaced the older version of the Banks that was on the truck with the current model and have the Banks IQ that I can monitor everything including the kitchen sink and I Love it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go ahead and get the heavy duty front end parts now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah the idler and pitman arms are pretty much common, i had to replace mine on my
LB7 before i could get it aligned. But for the longevity of the motor i would say just take care of it as much as you can change the oil when needed and when something breaks fix it as soon as possible and pretty much the number one thing to do is dont give it hell everytime you drive it and if you do those i wouldnt see why the motors wouldnt keep on ticking!! Oh almost forgot and with your LB7 change your fuel filter and put a fuel additive in your gas tank at every fill up so you wont go through injectors all the time! Maybe look into getting an airdog or a fass lift pump or a nicktane fuel filter kit because they will filter your fuel before it goes to your OEM fuel filter

·
Registered
589 Posts
my buddy's has 330k miles on it. 3rd set of injectors. original Allison

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would think it will last you for awhile....i would do a complete tune-up oil and filter tranny spin-on front and rear diff fuel filter ect.....that way you can get on a routine schedule and know everything has been changed just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts