Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine wont crank at all. Batteries are pretty new. Lights and dash all lights up no problem, but nothing at all when turning key.

Popped engine driver side fuse box open to poke around. Found issue with the "RUN/CRNK" relay, might be the cause. See pictures - has anyone ever seen something like this? The relay snapped off and is pretty corroded. Wondering if there are any techniques on getting all that out so I can try to put a new relay in?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
That's a pretty sad looking fuse box. You might be better served in the long run to just replace the entire fuse box. The new box may not come with EVERY fuse you need so if any needed fuses are missing buy new high quality fuses. You'll be happy you did. Also look for any other wiring 'green crusties' and clean them up.. That 'green crusties' stuff is corrosion and it causes resistance in electrical circuits, to be avoided at all costs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a pretty sad looking fuse box. You might be better served in the long run to just replace the entire fuse box. The new box may not come with EVERY fuse you need so if any needed fuses are missing buy new high quality fuses. You'll be happy you did. Also look for any other wiring 'green crusties' and clean them up.. That 'green crusties' stuff is corrosion and it causes resistance in electrical circuits, to be avoided at all costs.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up ordering the entire box instead of trying to mess with this. I didnt see any green crusties when I pulled it off on the contacts underneath, so I guess that is a good sign. I'll report back in a couple days when I get the new part in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installed the complete new fuse box and it started up. Part was virtually identical, but missing a fuse at 61, labelled WSW/HTR (60A). It doesn't even have the connectors let alone a fuse. Did a google and looks like that is a windshield wiper fluid heater? Seems they have had issues or maybe even a recall where they deactivated them. However the recall looks like 2009-10 time frame. Mine is a 2011 3500HD LML. I live in PA

Whats the story, any experience with this system? Is it nice? Does it work? Should I return the part I got and try to find one with that fuse in place?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,933 Posts

^^^ i have to agree, even if you get that blade out, and clean up that socket, you have no idea what the bottom side of that wiring looks like. Water flows down, and clearly theres been lots of water in that fuse box. The insides of it probably look like coral reef from all the oxidation.

That said, if you need it to work now, and not now, but right now, i would get a can of Deoxit electronics spray, soak that terminal for a few minutes, then gently rock the blade out with needle nose pliers. Then id use a set of contact files to clean up the insides of the terminals. Shoot some more Deoxit spray in the terminals and pop in a new relay. This is likely just a bandaid and you will probably have future issues based on the condition of that fuse box.

Installed the complete new fuse box and it started up. Part was virtually identical, but missing a fuse at 61, labelled WSW/HTR (60A). It doesn't even have the connectors let alone a fuse. Did a google and looks like that is a windshield wiper fluid heater? Seems they have had issues or maybe even a recall where they deactivated them. However the recall looks like 2009-10 time frame. Mine is a 2011 3500HD LML. I live in PA

Whats the story, any experience with this system? Is it nice? Does it work? Should I return the part I got and try to find one with that fuse in place?
IIRC the heated washer system was notorious for catching on fire but its been a while since ive heard about them. They were not around for very long. Personally it would make more sense to just put a heating grid on the windshield where the wiper blades sit like subaru does but thats apparently too simple for GM.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That heated windshield wiper fluid system brings back memories on the forums. A lot of us were not happy when we had to give that up on our LMMs but the fire danger apparently was high. A shame GM didn't come up with a fix for it instead of simply deactivating it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts