Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2004 hd2500 duramax suburban lly

Orig 2004 6.0 gas 2500 suburban

installed is a 2005 lly duramax /5 speed allison trans
107k miles from the donor truck
bds lift
35 inch toyos
air bags and the list goes on ................
Daily driver for 3 years now
any questions or info
shoot me a note have done 6 conversions now

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire [/attach]

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
I am going to revive my old post here to give an update. I actually did this integration of the LBZ Duramax and Allison 6 speed into my 05 3/4 Suburban and man what a difference. Its like owning a new truck, but much cooler. It tows our 35' Travel Trailer without breaking a sweat. This solved all my previous problems.

It looks basically stock, just a little taller.
that is so sick dude

·
Registered
993 Posts
I love those conversions!
That's a bad azz burb.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
this is my dream vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
duramax -burb

clean title

28,500 thinking of putting it on ebay but will wait a bit

will take a duramax pickup on trade if anyone has any interest

541-891-4415 call if interested thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Duramaxdad -
I noticed that you are in Oregon.
1. How does it work taking that thing through Oregon emissions testing? Any issues?
2. Do you use the ECM from the donor or the Suburban ECM? Is it titled as a diesel

that's so much better than the my 95 suburban with the 6.5 diesel...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok I know this is a super old thread but I can't find the answer I'm looking for and want to know if anyone has an idea. So I have an 02 lb7 and the body is starting to rust out and I was thinking that maybe I could just do a body swap with a suburban. The wife wants a bigger SUV so this seem like the easy way just don't know if it is possible or if I have to use the suburban frame and all and swap the motor and Trans over from the truck.?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Turbo- You have to get an donor SUV or in this case a SUV you really like because your truck would be the donor. TIP- Find A 3/4 TON Yukon XL or Suburban. You can find a nice one for about 12k . Try to get one with the 8.1 and drive it first. They get about 12 mpg around town and 14 on the highway.

The frame is different on the SUV totally different attachment points behind the firewall compared to a truck, gas tank in a diffeerent place etc.

Good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok so I just use the motor and Trans from my truck and swap it over to the SUV. Now my ? Would it be a lot harder if I got an 07 instead of an 02?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yes stay in the same year. Your issue is electronics, the BCm needs to talk to the chassis components. It is a big deal- look up the swap. On the Chevy avalanche site a guy swapped one over. The Avalanche is built on the SUV chassis.

Before you do all this try driving an 8.1 Sububan- they have a lot of power- don't rev great (a hypertech tune really helped mine) and frankly 455 ft lbs torque at 2400 rpm is plenty. A clean one can be had for about 12k.-15k.

Avalon

Look up duraburb too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No the frames are radically different

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
No the frames are radically different
^^^Eric knows his stuff in this area! In fact that Duraburb company needs to host a bunch of GM engineers with notepads so they can watch how things are done. They have done things with quadrasteer, trac-loc and AWD that is just unreal and completely reliable and serviceable.

Reactions: lifeoriley

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
GM used to sell the Suburban with the 6.5L diesel, just never offered it with the Duramax. It was probably a sales number issue.

I worked with a guy that had one and he was always online trying to figure ways to get more power, which he eventually did. I think his was a 95 ish, but not sure.

A Duramax conversion for HIM would be a HUGE upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Yes stay in the same year. Your issue is electronics, the BCm needs to talk to the chassis components. It is a big deal- look up the swap. On the Chevy avalanche site a guy swapped one over. The Avalanche is built on the SUV chassis.

Before you do all this try driving an 8.1 Sububan- they have a lot of power- don't rev great (a hypertech tune really helped mine) and frankly 455 ft lbs torque at 2400 rpm is plenty. A clean one can be had for about 12k.-15k.

Avalon

Look up duraburb too.

Except the 9 MPG won't be too sweet. And that's empty.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
The 8.1 Suburbans got around 11-12 mpg and 14 on the hwy. Empty.

Towing my 11,000 lb boat I got 8.5

But it was the only vehice non diesel that was rated to 12k.

Avalon

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I bet you had tall gearing, like 3.42 or higher. I have had a number of big blocks in the past and 10 mpg was usually it. Towing, empty, or whatever, 10.

I have read at least a hundred posts of guys getting 14-15 with their Duramaxes towing 12-14K. Now I know the truth. They might have gotten those numbers on ONE trip with conditions perfect, but no way can they prove otherwise to me.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I bet you had tall gearing, like 3.42 or higher. I have had a number of big blocks in the past and 10 mpg was usually it. Towing, empty, or whatever, 10.

I have read at least a hundred posts of guys getting 14-15 with their Duramaxes towing 12-14K. Now I know the truth. They might have gotten those numbers on ONE trip with conditions perfect, but no way can they prove otherwise to me.

No I had 4.10's, the only way to get a 12k package. Now this was in a Avalanche 2500 (same as the Suburban) and the truck weighed 7000lbs.

Avalon

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts