Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the diesel world and wondering why there is an issue running red fuel. I have some at my disposal.and was wondering what the risks are. I assumed it was the same fuel just red so no big deal but it sounds like there might be more to it then I think?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It can be a pretty hefty fine depending on where you live and how strict they are. I dont think it would be worth it. Its just untaxed off road fuel. Most place around here wont even let you pump it unless you are a farmer or drive a city or state truck.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
In Oregon it's a $10,000 fine if caught.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It's the same fuel you normally get, just dyed red and tax-free. If you get caught running it on the road, you will face very hefty fines...and I mean like buy-a-nice-used-diesel-truck kind of fines. I don't even run it when I am at the ranch because I am scared the dye will still be in my tank if I ever get checked driving down the highway. Technically, my use is legal, but try explaining that to a State Trooper.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same fuel just dyed and huge fine if u get caught running it

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yes, in alot of places if you get caught running it you are in deep trouble. I saw a built-ish cummins (built the same way most cummins guys build their stuff...w/o common sense). Anyways he was running red fuel and melted four out of six pistons. truck sat at the dealer for six months. Dealer notified whoever they notify, and owner had a HUGE fine on top of a new motor to pay for.

Also, I do believe red fuel runs hotter then normal fuel, but I am not an authority on the topic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you get caught using offroad (with the dye) fuel on the road, you will get a stiff fine. I have been stopped along with anyone with a diesel and they stiuck a probe into the tank for a sample. A couple of farm trucks ahead of me were off to the side getting their ticket. Even if you run just one tank of red through it they can tell several tanks later that you had used offroad fuel in your truck. Not worth it for me. Just pay the tax and run the red.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Same fuel. Huge fine. Very risky.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
And it is technically considered tax evasion.

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
What is road fuel? :D

But seriously, there is a hefty fine depending on your state if they dip you and find out you're running Dyed (Red) fuel. Every state is different

·
Registered
285 Posts
The fuel is a different kind, the red offroad is a high sulfur diesel fuel. The kind we get at the pumps is ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel. Sulfur is a lubricant in diesel fuel. It's better for trucks without dpf and egr valves to run it, anything with emissions it is no bueno. It's not taxed for on highway use, therefor the hefty fine if you get caught running it. If you get a chance put a few drops on your fingers, then do it with ULSD and you will feel the difference. ULSD is very dry and will evaporate fairly quick. Off road is more oily and will be on your hands longer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
its all i have ran in my truck since i bought it i mean why not, its freesel:) and i havent had a problem mechincal wise, i believe the fine per liter you have up here, but ive only ever heard of 2 people getting caught, and one guy got caught twice and he still runs it in his truck lol

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
The fuel is a different kind, the red offroad is a high sulfur diesel fuel. The kind we get at the pumps is ULSD ultra low sulfur diesel. Sulfur is a lubricant in diesel fuel. It's better for trucks without dpf and egr valves to run it, anything with emissions it is no bueno. It's not taxed for on highway use, therefor the hefty fine if you get caught running it. If you get a chance put a few drops on your fingers, then do it with ULSD and you will feel the difference. ULSD is very dry and will evaporate fairly quick. Off road is more oily and will be on your hands longer.
negative ghostrider, its all the same now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Off road is the same as heating oil by me and has a higher sulfer content than ulsd. The older trucks run much better with the high sulfer

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,349 Posts
Holy shit, diesel is diesel Is diesel. Wether it's red, green, pink or rainbow it's ulsd. You can't buy anything else in America.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
Holy shit, diesel is diesel Is diesel. Wether it's red, green, pink or rainbow it's ulsd. You can't buy anything else in America.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
to further prove this statement, off highway equipment is now being made with DPF equipment on them. these systems will not work with lsd.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Large oil company here still 500 ppm red lsd.

·
Registered
285 Posts
negative ghostrider, its all the same now.
It could very well be now. Been about 4 or 5 years since I have been around it on a daily basis. I am sure the tree huggers have had it changed since. I know all the new off road equipment are built to run only on ULSD

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you can find even low sulfur fuel oil (<500ppm), then you are in a different situation than most.

Almost all fuel oil available now is ultra low sulfur (<15ppm). This includes HHO (home heating oil). Just because it is ULSD doesn't mean it is ALL the same though. There may still be differences in the additive package and blends.

Generally when we talk about diesel fuel, we are talking about #2 fuel oil. What we find at the local pump may however be blended with #1 fuel oil to assist with gelling problems (#1 fuel oil has a lower energy content which explains reduced fuel mileage on winter blend). Fuel oil #4 and #6 are also commonly used as HHO. These have a higher energy content than #2 (and #1), and contain a heavier petroleum distillate.

Running red fuel can be risky because off-road blends can vary so much. Depending on the region, they can be/contain K-1, #1, #2, #4, #6, JP blends, etc...

However, oil companies should all have spec sheets on the fuel that they carry and most of them will be identical to what is available at the pump, with the addition of the red dye.

Like others have said, the fine is not worth the risk. But there are still plenty of guys out there running it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts