Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,
I have a white, 2004/5 2500HD 6.6 Allison 5spd Auto, with the edge/attitude, AFE Air Filter Kit, oversize fuel tank 45 gallon, 4 inch exhaust, , Billet Grille, 4" IFS Lift Kit, 35" Tires, Panther 17/8 Rims, Firestone Air Bags/Compressor, Draw Tite Brake Controller, LineX Sprayed, K-40 Lazer Defuser/Radar Front & Rear, Leer Browning Special Edition Shell, Truck Vault 2 drawer, Yakima Rack, Invision DVD Headrests 2.

New to Diesels by the way..

All of that and it won't start. (42000 miles) last week I had to change the fuel filter when it died on me three times in less than a mile. I was driving out of town and after I changed it I drove for 300 miles round trip no problem. Then I let it sit for 2 days and again it died after idleing then fired up and drove off only to die again 3 miles down the road. I primed and primed but it wouldn't start, towed it to my house and found this forum. I've read all the threads and went out and bled the fuel and tightened the plastic drain on the fuel filter. After that I primed it again and it fired up and died. Primed again and bled the top bleeder screw (why is that plastic?) it started then died again? HELP. ... The engine light is on now as well.. After it runs it dies.

question there was a black plastic thing in the fuel filter when I changed it, I took it out because the old one didn't have one. I seen them in the pictures on the board with and with out. But it wouldn't screw on with it there. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The old seal was left up in the filter housing when you removed the old filter. That is why the new one would not go on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, you didn't say if you've tried, but you could try unplugging the Juice.

However, I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest it might have to do with the "black plastic thing."

The fuel filter has a center O-ring. It can hang up and stay with the mount when you take the filter off (why your old one didn't have one).

I suspect that you somehow managed to get the new O-ringless filter to screw on to the mount over the old O-ring and it is not making a good enough seal to stop air infiltration.

Re-do the filter with the spare you have in the back seat (you do have a spare don't you?) and make sure the filter that comes out has a "black plastic thing" on it when removed....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what that is...lol

I'll try that out.... Makes sense now duh... No brainer I guess thats what I get for doing it in a Hardware store parking lot in a hurry.. Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
4 Posts
You need to change the fuel filter again, and when you do, remove the filter's internal seal from the filter housing if it does not come off with the old filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts