Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is. I made some modifications to my truck today. I have a 2005 Duramax LLY that as of this morning was all stock. Before I did any modifications I went to the local Dyno shop and ran a stock HP and torque numbers. Then I left and went to cut out the stock mufler. I replaced it with just a straight pipe (less than $25 from NAPA). I went back to the Dyno shop and ran numbers with straight exhaust. Then I switched out the air filter to a K&N fliter. These are the three sets of numbers I posted:

Horsepower Torque
Stock 214 397
Straight Exhaust 211 326
Straight Ex w/ K&N 214 465

The manager of the shop stated that if you are not going to upgrade the computer then dont upgrade the exhaust. Since I have the Edge coming he said it would improve the function of the Edge. But I had a 3HP drop by eliminating the stock muffler. The K&N brought the number back up to stock with HP and surpassed the stock torque numbers. I ran each set of tests 3 times to make sure the numbers I posted are accurate. So hopefully some of you can use these numbers to improve your own truck. I will be putting a Corsa cat back system on as soon as the new shop opens around Nov. 1st. If anyone has any other suggestions or comments, please feel free to critique me.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Interesting #'s. Nice work on Dyno getting the stock baseline. The HP #'s don't surprise me, but the torque #'s do. What kind of dyno, how'ed you load your truck for the run.

D-max's have a hard time getting boost up because tranny wants to downshift into fourth below about 2200 RPMs. When I did my dyno run of 532HP/950torque, I could only build 25pounds of boost. My truck makes 40 pounds on the street. My Torque #'s were low because of lack of boost.

Thanks for the info,
Rob

·
Registered
181 Posts
[

D-max's have a hard time getting boost up because tranny wants to downshift into fourth below about 2200 RPMs. When I did my dyno run of 532HP/950torque, I could only build 25pounds of boost. My truck makes 40 pounds on the street. My Torque #'s were low because of lack of boost.

Thanks for the info,
Rob[/QUOTE]

When we dyno them here we use the scanner to hold them in 4th gear. That way there is no issues with the down shift. You are right about the torque numbers. That seems to be a pretty big jump for just an air filter.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah a surprising jump. Just be careful with k&n filters. I've heard that they let a lot of crap through you don't want gettin in...

·
Registered
352 Posts
do youg uys drag your breaks for pre load, thats what us cummins guys do on the dyno.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Monster truck said:
us cummins guys
yes, we rock :) Okay so do all diesels.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
ok I was just wondering becuase it didnt sound like it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ok

Horsepower Torque
Stock 214 397
I would guess that my truck was close to the same stock.

With the powerpup on 90 and VA on 180 I dynoed 426/798.. Almost doubled not bad in my book.

·
Registered
17 Posts
on my lly in stock it put down 255hp/470tq.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just dyno'd my truck this weekend i dont know if the guy that had it before me had a download in it also but edge on level 0 it did 285hp and 505tq, edge on 5 did 418hp and 748tq. not bad for a 4" exhaust and edge.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Those are nice numbers!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Good numbers, FYI The Edge Still adds Timing On level 0!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
???
Still adds timing? Are you sure?
I need to dyno before install next week?

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
does any one know how much stock lbz dynos,any one know were a dyno is here in northeastern ohio that i could use?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Stock I would say right around 300 RWHP maybe less a few since your a dually.

Give these guys a call good place, with a good dyno!

Twisted Innovations
Ashtabula OH
440-993-0100

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
thanks i appreciate it.the dully is a 05 lly with my 06 lbz mirrors on it,that truck(lbz) is a 2500HD sierra

·
Registered
192 Posts
Horsepower Torque
Stock 214 397
Straight Exhaust 211 326
Straight Ex w/ K&N 214 465
these numbers are all over the place, and suggests to me you had a dyno problem. A KN does not supply 140 lb of torque with no HP gain, nothing does. In fact, it has been shown that a stock vehicle can not gain from an aftermarket intake, unless you are using the incorrect stock element.

FWIW, that is the lowest stock HP dyno number I have ever seen. 260-280 is the typical range. So something is up with your measurements. I am just afraid somebody will get the wrong idea about KN, when we may just be seeing bad dyno technique.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
i agree. something is just not right there... IF a K&N element only i assume, added 140 ft/lbs they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf!! something is just not right about the numbers... what kind of dyno is it? recent calibration??

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
i think i'll buy a K&N with kind of results:tease

1 - 20 of 39 Posts