Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a baseline for my stock engine so I would know exactly what gains I got from upgrades so I put my truck on the dyno @ the Sarver Automotive Diesel Dyno day this past Saturday. I showed 303 hp and 606 torque. As I understand it, stock flywheel numbers are 300/520 so rear wheel should have been in the neighborhood of 270/480. A pleasant surprise! I guess a previous owner used a programmer like PPE or something because there is nothing under the hood to indicate any modifications. I wish I knew what it was. I had no luck tracking down the previous owner.

Any ideas as to what programmer/tune would produce these kind of results?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wanted a baseline for my stock engine so I would know exactly what gains I got from upgrades so I put my truck on the dyno @ the Sarver Automotive Diesel Dyno day this past Saturday. I showed 303 hp and 606 torque. As I understand it, stock flywheel numbers are 300/520 so rear wheel should have been in the neighborhood of 270/480. A pleasant surprise! I guess a previous owner used a programmer like PPE or something because there is nothing under the hood to indicate any modifications. I wish I knew what it was. I had no luck tracking down the previous owner.

Any ideas as to what programmer/tune would produce these kind of results?

i thought the manufacturers were rating their trucks at the rear wheels on the diesels?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought the manufacturers were rating their trucks at the rear wheels on the diesels?
That's possible. I may be wrong about the flywheel. Either way, there has to be a tune on this thing to get 606 torque.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Fly wheel numbers

·
Registered
201 Posts
All ratings on these trucks are at the flywheel. A stock Lb7 should be give or take 250/420. You were either on a sh*tty dyno or else you have some kind of tune. You should be able to tell if you have a tune. It would run out pretty decent if it is really putting those numbers down.

·
Needs more go fast
12,519 Posts
man if i would i know you were there i would of met up with yea!
but i bet theres a ppe tune on there

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All ratings on these trucks are at the flywheel. A stock Lb7 should be give or take 250/420. You were either on a sh*tty dyno or else you have some kind of tune. You should be able to tell if you have a tune. It would run out pretty decent if it is really putting those numbers down.
I have no reference. This is my first diesel. I did test drive a number of Fords and Dodges before I settled on this Duramax. The biggest reason I chose this truck was the combination of looks and power. This thing is strong compared to every other stock Ford or Dodge I test drove. That's what sold me on it.

Here is something interesting. I have an iPhone with the PocketDyno app installed. This is what it showed. The hp was actually dead on! 303rwhp, 15.56 1/4 mile time @ 90mph, 0-60 6.93seconds.

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
Wonder if the dyno is calibrated correctly--!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dyno seemed right on Saturday. If anything, everyone's numbers were low because he wasnt loading it much due to the amount of trucks he had to dyno in succession. I'd say it def. has a tune it it. Hard to tell what kind. If you want to start from scratch you would have to take it to a GM dealer and have it reflashed back to stock.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
That dyno was reading low on Saturday by about 40 hp. Something was up with the load cell. I've dyno'd 4 times out there and its a very accurate machine. Your truck must have a tune in it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

That would be equivalent to about a +120hp PPE tune on a LB7 or a +40hp tune on a LBZ truck.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
It could have an EFILive tune in it. The only way to tell is with a TechII or have someone with EFILive read the ECM.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
That dyno was reading low on Saturday by about 40 hp. Something was up with the load cell. I've dyno'd 4 times out there and its a very accurate machine. Your truck must have a tune in it.
Ill second that, That dyno always backs up with my mph at the track but seemd off key that day!

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
Hmm...wonder who lives close to him and has EFI live.....hmmmm :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does it smoke at all?
It doesn't smoke at all. Maybe when I'm real hard into it I might see some brown/gray but very little. Nothing like a smoke tune nor is it in need of a tune up if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
That's more like the 90hp tune on the ppe. It could be efi also. My lmm with robs 150 tune has a slightly higher amount of smoke than stock but it is almost nothing..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts