Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, will be taking delivery of a new 2009 KZ Inferno 3812 toy hauler:rockin. Although the unit is big (and many would say too big for my 2500 but I would disagree) I will be under the limits for rear axle by nearly 700 lbs. Have helper air bags so the springs will not be at limit either. The weakest spot will by my tires rated at 3195 lbs each so I will be right at their limit.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows if there are higher load rated tires available to get? Still have stock rims with tire size 265/70R17 and don't want to spend the $ for new wheels.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I think the unit will weigh more than the "Guess" the mfg state on the unit.

After the trailer is loaded, you will probably be a lot over the tire and axle rating. The truck will probably handle it OK, but remember that the highway patrol will be watching! :eek:

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
285/75r16's are going to be the highest load rating you can get. they are 3750lb on 10 ply's

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
I have f's on my flatbed 6.5 and have never had any weigh issues with them and they have seen some heavy hauls

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not all tires are rated equally even if they have the same load or ply rating. In other words, not all Load Range F tires will have the exact same load carrying capability. The load or ply rating only relates to how much air pressure they can take. Look at the sidewall to get the exact capacity in pounds. That being said, most will be very close to the same but ocassionaly, you get one that is well above or below the pack.

I agree, 3750 is probably all you are going to see in a 16" combo but that will be a rare tire and might be a 305 section width to get it. Probably load range F but not G in that size. Just remember to inflate them to their max. It will be even harder to find a load range F or G on 17" from the likes of Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc. It has been a long time since I was in the biz but you might have to go to a motorhome/bus/light truck style rim in either 17.5 or 19.5 to get a tire that will carry more than 3500-3750. Maybe one of the lesser brands like Kuhmo, Toyo, Ohtsu or Federal have something that is rated higher.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, will be taking delivery of a new 2009 KZ Inferno 3812 toy hauler:rockin. Although the unit is big (and many would say too big for my 2500 but I would disagree) I will be under the limits for rear axle by nearly 700 lbs. Have helper air bags so the springs will not be at limit either. The weakest spot will by my tires rated at 3195 lbs each so I will be right at their limit.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows if there are higher load rated tires available to get? Still have stock rims with tire size 265/70R17 and don't want to spend the $ for new wheels.

Thanks
Thanks all for your input. From what I can tell I can only get E rated tires over 3195 lbs rating if I go to a 16 inch rim which I really don't want to do.

·
needing more money
314 Posts
Might sound crazy but the 295/70 17 toyo open country MT has a 3980# load rating. Probably would have to level your truck but that's pretty serious rating for a mud tire.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might sound crazy but the 295/70 17 toyo open country MT has a 3980# load rating. Probably would have to level your truck but that's pretty serious rating for a mud tire.
Thanks BlackDmax! Do you happen to know the stock rim width?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, the Open Country A/T in size 285/75 17 is rated for 3970 and is less aggressive tread and would be better for mostly highway use.

Thanks for the tip on Toyo!:drink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts