Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stole this from YouTube but helped me out a lot.

Materials needed:
Shop Vac
Small rag/towel
Duct tape
Spray bottle
Soapy water

1. Reverse the pipe on your shop vac so it blows. Let it run a little to clear all the dust.

2. Wrap a small towel around the end of the tube and stick it in your tailpipe. Stuff in the towel to create a seal. Use duct tape to hold it in place.

3. Pop your hood and remove your inner fender wells.

4. Turn on your shop vac.

5. Spray soapy water on all potential leaks.
-front pipe flange
-front pipe - downpipe clamp
-downpipe - turbo clamp
-turbo - up pipes
-passenger up pipe - egr
-up pipe - exhaust manifolds
-all up pipe bellows
-exhaust manifold - heads
-probes

Leaks will cause the soapy water to bubble. I found leaks at my front pipe flange, down pipe turbo clamp, and EGT probe.
Example:

6. Tighten bolts, use sealant, replace gaskets as needed.

Reactions: dieselclatter

·
Registered
2016 Silverado LTZ LML
27 Posts
Huh.. Wouldn't have thought the shop vac would create enough pressure. Just did my exhaust so I might have to give this a try! Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Btw this was done with a straight pipe. Not sure how effective this is for those with cats.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm assuming by front pipe flange you're referring to the downpipe to exhaust pipe V-band clamp connection? If so, did you check it again after tightening the bolt? I fought that joint on my 2012 forever and gave up. I couldn't stop it. I always had 3 little leaks between the sections of the V-band.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm assuming by front pipe flange you're referring to the downpipe to exhaust pipe V-band clamp connection? If so, did you check it again after tightening the bolt? I fought that joint on my 2012 forever and gave up. I couldn't stop it. I always had 3 little leaks between the sections of the V-band.
It’s a 4 bolt flange between the front pipe and the rest of the exhaust/ catback. I think for 05 and older.

Yeah I had trouble with that downpipe clamp too. I overtightened it, stripped the threads, and had to make a new fastener. Then I got a 3” ring gasket that sealed it up.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So you ended up with a gasket between the downpipe and the exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
There is a compound that is specially made to stop minor leaks at junction points in the exhaust system. Many of the big box auto parts places carry it routinely. This is the part number that I used purchased at NAPA: XH 35959 It's called exhaust pipe and muffler sealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts