Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 lb7 im looking for the most reliable company to buy a new ecm with factory settings... i have a ppe exelerator that i want to be compatible with the new ecm

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Can I make a suggestion? Your going to spend 400+ for a used ECM with stock tuning then run your PPE programmer on it. Your PPE could sell for 300 or more and cover your purchase of a EFI Live tuned ECM with 5 tunes that are switchable on the fly. You have the choice of the tunes you want to be made, (ex. 1-Stock, 2-tow, 3-Daily Driver, 4-Street Performance, 5-anti theft) It can be made custom for your truck and the modifications you have. You might want to consider this as another option!

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Can I make a suggestion? Your going to spend 400+ for a used ECM with stock tuning then run your PPE programmer on it. Your PPE could sell for 300 or more and cover your purchase of a EFI Live tuned ECM with 5 tunes that are switchable on the fly. You have the choice of the tunes you want to be made, (ex. 1-Stock, 2-tow, 3-Daily Driver, 4-Street Performance, 5-anti theft) It can be made custom for your truck and the modifications you have. You might want to consider this as another option!

How does an anti-theft tune work?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
You can have it setup many different ways. Some ask for a NO START. Others ask for NO THROTTLE RESPONSE. And there is a valet style with limited fueling/RPM's so speed is a no go. Lots of options for anti theft with EFI Live.

EDIT: I want to add some more cool info. If you have a 04.5'-10' you can even ask for a different sounding idle. No turbo wistle like the LB7! You can have it on any of the settings or all of them. Pretty cool if you ask me!

·
Registered
619 Posts
You can have it setup many different ways. Some ask for a NO START. Others ask for NO THROTTLE RESPONSE. And there is a valet style with limited fueling/RPM's so speed is a no go. Lots of options for anti theft with EFI Live.

EDIT: I want to add some more cool info. If you have a 04.5'-10' you can even ask for a different sounding idle. No turbo wistle like the LB7! You can have it on any of the settings or all of them. Pretty cool if you ask me!
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but a no start tune, you basically just have to switch it to another tune and it'll fire up?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but a no start tune, you basically just have to switch it to another tune and it'll fire up?
yep ^^^^^^ put the key in your switch and turn if you have a keyed dsp5 switch

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do u mean by no turbo whistle like the lb7? At idle i cant hear my turbo..

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It's normal for my truck to rumble most of the time and then every once in a while it'll hiss momentarily and then go back to the rumble?
It should hiss for a bit no matter what on a cold start then go away depending on the tuning. As long as you can put it back to stock and it cycles back and forth every 5-10 seconds or so your fine

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
407 Posts
2002DRMX32, I used to run the PPE also. In February, I bought a 2008 with EFILive. I can't believe the difference. I know the the majority of people here on the duramax forum are firm supporters of, and I now know why. Just take a few minutes and go to the classified section here. Look at all of the PPE tuners for sale. I too loved my PPE, but the EFILive is that much better. If you've gotta dump $400 into a repair, that's your window into EFILive !!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's normal for my truck to rumble most of the time and then every once in a while it'll hiss momentarily and then go back to the rumble?
Your tuning is set to rumble stock it will sound like jet sweep to rumble then back to jet.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thanks for clearing things up while I was gone "rd05lly"!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Next time let me know when you leave. Way more typing than I like to do.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hahaha! I feel like that sometimes too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im pretty new to all this so its still a bit confusing just bare with me but if i would go with the efi pre tuned ecm do i just use my laptop as the on the fly controller?
I originally went with the ppe because it was just easier for me to understand at my stage of diesel modifying is efi not actually as complex as it seems if you just have the pros do the programming?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts