Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had my truck in the shop because the ECMRPV fuse keeps blowing and I can’t seem to find out why. Well mechanic couldn’t find out anywhere, including calling Chevrolet, what the heck that fuse is for on the duramax engine. I have a 2005 LLY. We found that there was an arcing from harmonic balancer to timing cover and so I replaced the balancer and no more arcing but the fuse is still blowing. Truck runs great until the fuse blows. It only blows while truck is running and after it’s warmed up. No obvious wires rubbing anywhere. If anyone has had this problem or could at least tell me what it is for it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Ok so I had my truck in the shop because the ECMRPV fuse keeps blowing and I can’t seem to find out why. Well mechanic couldn’t find out anywhere, including calling Chevrolet, what the heck that fuse is for on the duramax engine. I have a 2005 LLY. We found that there was an arcing from harmonic balancer to timing cover and so I replaced the balancer and no more arcing but the fuse is still blowing. Truck runs great until the fuse blows. It only blows while truck is running and after it’s warmed up. No obvious wires rubbing anywhere. If anyone has had this problem or could at least tell me what it is for it would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend that you either get something like a DIY license of all data, or see if you can find the electrical diagrams for the truck elsewhere. All data has diagrams for the fuses on the truck that show you what wires are connected to what fuses and where. This should make your troubleshooting job much easier. Also.... you said there was an arc being produced between the harmonic balancer and the timing cover??? like an electric arc? That shoudl not be happening for sure, there is nothing high enough voltage in that area to create an arc of that size. Im not even sure theres anything on the truck that produces enough voltage to get an arc that long. Does the truck have HID headlights? that is the only source of voltage i can think of high enough to create an arc of that size through air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend that you either get something like a DIY license of all data, or see if you can find the electrical diagrams for the truck elsewhere. All data has diagrams for the fuses on the truck that show you what wires are connected to what fuses and where. This should make your troubleshooting job much easier. Also.... you said there was an arc being produced between the harmonic balancer and the timing cover??? like an electric arc? That shoudl not be happening for sure, there is nothing high enough voltage in that area to create an arc of that size.
Ya the arc was caused by static build up. It’s not super common but happens on all different makes and models. Do you have a link to the diagrams you’re talking about?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I believe there have been reports about certain serpentine belts causing this static which builds up and then strikes. I'm thinking Gatorback, but not absolutely sure.

As for wiring diagrams, you can subscribe to ALLDATADIT.COM and get wiring diagrams a LOTS MORE for a pretty reasonable price. Or you can ge the wiring diagrams at GMUPFITTER.COM look for body builder manuals, then look for the electrical section for your year of truck. I'd tel you what the ECMRPV is but I don't have one in my truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe there have been reports about certain serpentine belts causing this static which builds up and then strikes. I'm thinking Gatorback, but not absolutely sure.

As for wiring diagrams, you can subscribe to ALLDATADIT.COM and get wiring diagrams a LOTS MORE for a pretty reasonable price. Or you can ge the wiring diagrams at GMUPFITTER.COM look for body builder manuals, then look for the electrical section for your year of truck. I'd tel you what the ECMRPV is but I don't have one in my truck.
So according to that it is for the ECM. Any suggestions on why it keeps blowing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So according to that it is for the ECM. Any suggestions on why it keeps blowing? Also a P0090 FPR control circuit code comes up with just battery on even after I clear codes as soon as they clear I read codes and it comes back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After more research and testing of wires and resistances and whatnot I don’t think I have a bad wire it must be the ECM. Is there any way to test it and make 100% sure it is that before I go and buy one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts