Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Edge cs2 tuner for my 08 gmc 2500 6.6. I was curious if its a pretty good tuner and how are the power gains and is it safe for the truck. I have never had a tuner and i just wanna make sure its not gonna mess the truck up.

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've not heard anything bad about it, but will let others chime in. I'm running a Hypertec tuner now.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
Just keep the hp level down, you might be ok.
Just remember you can not delete any emissions related stuff with pretty much any canned tuner.
Edge can be a little wild sometimes adding a little to much fuel and timing, the higher hp you add.
They do have a little to much de-fueling IMO in between shifts to try to save your trans a little.
On my Edge juice with Additude many years ago mine had de-fueling adjustments, I set it to 0 de-fuel very nice shifting between gears.
I don’t know if the Edge CT2 tuner offers this, something to play with tweaking adjustments if offered.

GoBlowSnow, if you tow, do your engine a favor at least set your Hypertec to level one.
Many war stories guys on level 2 that end up on the side of the road overheating even in cooler weather.
Hypertec’s claim that you don’ts need a EGT gauge with their specialty tuning is another blowheart claim.

Same goes for jakep4401, if your running tuning always have a egt gauge pre-turbo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been using one on my 2013 for almost 5 years now, with no problems. However, I mostly just use it as a 'monitor' of EGT's to help get out the throttle a bit when towing our 5th wheel in the mountains. Works great for keeping track of 'information'. I did use the 'tow' tune for a while, but only picked up 1 mpg and wasn't sure what kind of strain it was putting on my motor & trans. Figured for 1mpg, and no real noticeable performance increases, the stock program is designed for my truck, and is fine. Same with the 'economy' tune. I'm sure it's a safe tune, but generally isn't worth the hassle of flashing it over and back again, depending on what you're doing. As such, I just 'leave it and forget it'. It does a good job of monitoring EGT's, trans & coolant temps, boost, and a number of other things, so IMO is definitely worth having, given that it is also pretty reasonable price wise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been using one on my 2013 for almost 5 years now, with no problems. However, I mostly just use it as a 'monitor' of EGT's to help get out the throttle a bit when towing our 5th wheel in the mountains. Works great for keeping track of 'information'. I did use the 'tow' tune for a while, but only picked up 1 mpg and wasn't sure what kind of strain it was putting on my motor & trans. Figured for 1mpg, and no real noticeable performance increases, the stock program is designed for my truck, and is fine. Same with the 'economy' tune. I'm sure it's a safe tune, but generally isn't worth the hassle of flashing it over and back again, depending on what you're doing. As such, I just 'leave it and forget it'. It does a good job of monitoring EGT's, trans & coolant temps, boost, and a number of other things, so IMO is definitely worth having, given that it is also pretty reasonable price wise.
Found one for $275 i guess that a good price

Lmm Guy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah.... that's definitely a good price! Good for you! If I had it to do over again, I think next time I'd buy the CTS2, just because it's a bit larger, can show more PID's and is more customizable. However, they are running over $400, so won't be anytime soon!

Reactions: jakep4401

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
GoBlowSnow, if you tow, do your engine a favor at least set your Hypertec to level one.
Many war stories guys on level 2 that end up on the side of the road overheating even in cooler weather.
Thanks for the heads up. I've not run it on anything but Level one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts