Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says. I'm trying to decide between a edge CTS 3 and a Banks I-dash. Both of them can be connected to an additional EGT probe. Banks is a little cheaper and I'm not sure what the difference is besides the size of the screen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think they are similar. I like my CTS3 overall but sometimes it is pretty glitchy. I’ve done all the updates and it helped some. I went with the CTS3 over the i-dash because I felt the CTS3 would be easier for me to read/view while driving. I think I’d make the same choice again.

Reactions: 1Blue78

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
368 Posts
I absolutely love my CTS 3. Love the big screen and customizability. I haven't had any issues with it and would buy again and recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I absolutely love my CTS 3. Love the big screen and customizability. I haven't had any issues with it and would buy again and recommend to anyone.
agreed - mine works great, is easy to read and does everything I need.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,824 Posts
It comes down to whether you want a big screen or have the monitor be more discreet. They both work great.

·
Registered
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali- Bone Stock
1 Posts
My CTS 3 payed for itself the first trip out in our 2011 Denali pulling a 2016 toy hauler. The truck was building up soot faster than it could regen and went into Reduced Power Mode on the interstate. I was able to do a Manual Regen in the parking lot of a Dollar General and I was fine after that.
I was able to see it as it was happening with the CTS 3 and knew why it went into Reduced Power Mode and what needed to be done to get back on the road without a tow truck and a trip to the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
155 Posts
I have the cts2 and love the thing and works great in my truck. But I have heard of issues on the cts3. But as long as it works correctly they have a nice system. Now I did wish the accessory switch panel worked better and smoother user interface. I had plans to use instead of a switch panel but would work nice enough for me to go through route. Nice concept but just not perfect yet. So just remember whatever system you buy into look at other options in the future just incase you want to add other things or whatever you don’t block your self from him or end up spending a ton a money and then having to switch systems. But personally I like my cts2 but hearing about issues from other people makes me think twice before adding other items to the system. But like I said as long as the edge works and keeps working correctly they make a nice system and one of the nicer displays as far as the user interface goes. But I don’t like the fact of you want to ad 2 switch’s to it it’s stupid expensive and if you spend the money user interface sucks so either loose gauges or deal with the PTA to switch between switches and gauges. I just use my cts2 for gauges and in the process of building my switch panel that I was trying to get away with. But nothing works well enough yet to be able to

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have both CTS2 and 3 in a few work vehicles. Could not imagine owning a modern diesel without one. The CTS3 is way faster and better than the 2 IMO. Both run mobile and manual regens. The code reading and clearing is essential. I keep spare NOx sensors and temp sensors on hand since they seem to only last about 100K and they can be changed on the road fairly easily. The 2015 Ford F450 stakebed gets driven shorter distances with 5,000lbs on it quite regularly and it does not seem to like that. My techs run a manual regen every Monday morning on it to keep the DPF from clogging. Dealer charged me $200 to run a manual regen when i first got the truck and it clogged so the CTS2 has long been paid for :) Don't have that problem with the Dmaxes but they are driven more on the highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went with CTS-3 like it so far.

One thing I notice is that the engine coolant temp reading is 15-30F colder on the CTS3 monitor than shows on the dash board reading. Not a big deal, which one would you trust? I got it for towing my trailer 9,000# would like to watch Temps and gauges while towing. And I know that the 15-30 is not making or breaking the truck, I just don't want to think I'm okay and all of the sudden not be.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
368 Posts
The dash gauge is a "dummy gauge" and not at all accurate. Trust your CTS3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts