Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an Edge Insight CTS2 for Christmas. I'm using it on my 07 LMM.
No problems getting it updated and installed.
I have yet to find a chart or some sort of listing that explains the PID abbreviations.
This listing should be a part of the documentation included with every CTS2 but it isn't. A Google search didn't help either.
I know some PIDs are not going to show up for every vehicle.
Can someone take the time to list each PID abbreviation with the unabbreviated name of the PID.

Another question.

I wanted the CTS2 for its ability to do an injector balance test. I tried that feature first once I had it installed. At an idle none of the injectors read 1.0. The highest reading on any of them was .08 with many less than that. The CTS2 manual says the threshold at an idle is 4.0 plus or minus... whatever that means.
Do I interpret that to mean any injector reading higher than 4.0 at an idle is suspect?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Don't know right off about PID abbreviations but the balance rates are good if between 4.0 or -4.0 in park at idle with a stock tune engine at operating temperature.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know right off about PID abbreviations but the balance rates are good if between 4.0 or -4.0 in park at idle with a stock tune engine at operating temperature.
Thanks for the reply

So... a reading at idle that falls between -4.0 to +4.0 indicates an acceptable balance rate?

Mine has been tuned and is currently set on the +30HP tune. I wonder how that affects the test?

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Right between -4 to +4, according to GM recommendations it should be on a stock tune, don't know what effects other tunes have on it.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Thanks for the reply

So... a reading at idle that falls between -4.0 to +4.0 indicates an acceptable balance rate?

Mine has been tuned and is currently set on the +30HP tune. I wonder how that affects the test?
Tuning should NOT affect “balance rates test”
Mine was fairly close stock to 40 hp tune now in sig.
Balance rates will not be the same on the cylinders very time you check as long as they fall in the -4 to +4 you should be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
If you post which pid(s) you are unsure i can tell you what they are.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
These are most of them. Any others you cant find like I said feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
are the injector balance rates a PID or a test that is done? I have a CTS2 and don't remember there being a PID for that. IIRC in previous posts some mentioned that the CTS2 was advertised as having the balance rate feature, but actually didn't.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When selecting pids, one of the buttons gives a description of that pid.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not all PIDS will give you a description of that PID, other than the name description. The CTS2 though, does give majority descriptions for what the PID(s) is and what is for. But, not all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've spent some additional time with the CTS2.
I now understand why Edge didn't see the need to include a list of the PIDs and a description. The CTS2 itself provides the full name of the PIDs and a description. There really aren't that many PIDs to work through anyway.

I checked my balance rates at idle and under normal driving conditions.
None of them were out of the -4 to +4 idle spec or the -6 to +6 driving spec. During the driving test five of them stayed close to each other but three reported numbers with wider ranges.
I would have liked seeing the ranges of all the injectors be similar to each other but with nearly 200K on stock injectors I'm satisfied.
Thanks for the comments/help

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
FYI, checking balance rates for info is while idling in park/neutral idling in drive idling not while driving.
Driving the numbers will be higher.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI, checking balance rates for info is while idling in park/neutral idling in drive idling not while driving.
Driving the numbers will be higher.
There is a spec quoted in the CTS2 diagnostic for injector balance readings while driving... -6 to +6
My worst reading while driving with no appreciable engine load was 3.0 on one injector but a few others were nearly as high. All of them were considerably higher than the idle readings.

I'm not so sure how reliable this test is anyway. Of course this test is better than no testing at all. My truck has no outward symptoms of bad injector(s) and the testing seems to confirm that.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I’ll post a picture of the monitor again, it says in drive it doesn’t say while driving.
The more you accelerate the higher the numbers get.
I’ve had balance rates options to check on CTS and CTS2 since 2012.
But it really doesn’t matter as long as your happy with the way you test.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your suppose to do it at COLD Startup**

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ll post a picture of the monitor again, it says in drive it doesn’t say while driving.
The more you accelerate the higher the numbers get.
I’ve had balance rates options to check on CTS and CTS2 since 2012.
But it really doesn’t matter as long as your happy with the way you test.
Your suppose to do it at COLD Startup**
Thanks for pointing out these errors.
I didn't actually READ those instructions well enough to gain a full understanding. I'm going to run the test again.
The truck was cold on the very first test but the cold engine requirement eliminates a driving test for the most part.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Again GM states that the balance rates should be checked at operating temps on a stock tune regardless of what Edge states.I know several will disagree but this is what GM says.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Again GM states that the balance rates should be checked at operating temps on a stock tune regardless of what Edge states.I know several will disagree but this is what GM says.
Hmm good to know. Is they're anything else that GM states, which is overlooked w/ Edge CTS2 Monitor?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts