Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bump! What are you guys monitoring with your CTS2? I'm thinking about getting one for my 2017 to monitor EGTs and have the ability to manually regen. Can the CTS2 display grams of soot on the L5P or is it just showing a percentage?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bump! What are you guys monitoring with your CTS2? I'm thinking about getting one for my 2017 to monitor EGTs and have the ability to manually regen. Can the CTS2 display grams of soot on the L5P or is it just showing a percentage?
Just shows a percentage but still quite useful.

Here's a pic of mine

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I monitor DPF%, regen active, EGT, MPG coach, ECT, TCT, gear/tc

When towing I try to go fast enough to hold 6th in T/H which is usually a bit over 60

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
When towing I try to go fast enough to hold 6th in T/H which is usually a bit over 60
Why would you want your transmission going into 6th gear when towing?
If you monitor the things you mentioned you'd see those all of your temps rising quickly.

Even worse you’d be close to 1500 rpms towing on flat ground at 60 mph in 6th gear which causes all of the temps to rise.
Then to top it off your lugging your engine towing, not good.

There’s plenty of discussions on this subject, search.
When towing always use towhaul, manual shift, and never let it shift above 5th gear and keep the rpms up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why would you want your transmission going into 6th gear when towing?
If you monitor the things you mentioned you'd see those all of your temps rising quickly.

Even worse you’d be close to 1500 rpms towing on flat ground at 60 mph in 6th gear which causes all of the temps to rise.
Then to top it off your lugging your engine towing, not good.

There’s plenty of discussions on this subject, search.
When towing always use towhaul, manual shift, and never let it shift above 5th gear and keep the rpms up.

I've seen no real difference in EGT's when towing at various RPMs, maybe a bit higher at higher revs. The EGTs are usually <800 if not in the mountains. I'd never manual shift the thing either, the Allison know what it's doing as does the ECU. Both 5th and 6th are o/d ratios. The truck tows just fine with cruise on when on the interstates at 65mph or so and gets 11+mpg. It'll tow at 80mph too but that's just pointless and sucks fuel.

Post up the links that explain your point of view please.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yes, the Allison is very smart when not towing, it’s a little slow reacting when towing.
That’s why if you’d search on this subject you’ll find out why by people that know how to tow properly so they have less of a chance screwing things up or better yet stop by your local Allison service dept and ask them.

But it appears that you feel and your convinced that you have everything under control, so continue on with what your doing.

If your using towhaul from 2nd to 5th the converter stays locked at least until the trans shifts into 6th.
I think the converter might still be locked in 6th 'dunno; because I’m not goofy enough to allow my trans to shift into 6th when towing.
If you don’t have TH engaged then final ratio you’ll be in OD.

End of discussion.

BTW, I don’t by your not noticing any ECT, EGT and trans temps when towing at 1500 rpm or 2200 rpms, I drove diesels for a living 40+ years.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, the Allison is very smart when not towing, it’s a little slow reacting when towing.
That’s why if you’d search on this subject you’ll find out why by people that know how to tow properly so they have less of a chance screwing things up or better yet stop by your local Allison service dept and ask them.

But it appears that you feel and your convinced that you have everything under control, so continue on with what your doing.

If your using towhaul from 2nd to 5th the converter stays locked at least until the trans shifts into 6th.
I think the converter might still be locked in 6th 'dunno; because I’m not goofy enough to allow my trans to shift into 6th when towing.
If you don’t have TH engaged then final ratio you’ll be in OD.

End of discussion.

BTW, I don’t by your not noticing any ECT, EGT and trans temps when towing at 1500 rpm or 2200 rpms, I drove diesels for a living 40+ years.
I was going to ask if you monitor TC lockup on your L5P and then I noticed you have an old truck and just troll the L5P forum.

TC locks from 2nd to 6th, T/H or not. Anything above 4th is OD, T/H or not. I'll just drive it like GM engineers intended it to be driven and not like Internet "experts" think it should be (who don't own one). See ya!

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Busted, I’m trolling the whole dam Dmax forum, just like everyone else that’s trying to assist the first time Dmax and Allison owners with questions with what we’ve found that works the best. :x

I forgot to mention, I came over from a 03 Furd PowerChoke, I thought I knew everything when it comes to a light duty diesel truck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is from a run up north last week (not towing)soot % stayed at in the 30's until the miles (top left) hit 800 then went into regen, I use it as a guide and its not set in stone as every trip is deferent

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
If there is a PID you’all would like, it’s just a simple telephone call away to EDGE to request it, even more if you had it and don’t now.
Forget the lazy emailing way, unless you don’t mind waiting & waiting and maybe never hearing back.

The more people that request a pid that’s missing, the greater chance Edge will accommodate you’all.

I requested a pid that I had on my original Edge Insight back in 08-09 which was TCC SLIP. When it was not included on my CTS, they added it for me.
It was not included on my CTS2, it took several attempts including first time crashing my Insight, which they got it up and running again.
Second attempt they succeeded, so now I have the TCC SLIP on my CTS2.
For me it’s something important to monitor.
Give EDGE a telephone call, they are the only ones that can take care of what’s missing.
You’ve changed to a 2018 which has a little different software, and they are the only ones that can add a update for you to download.
:thumb

The message when you call will request that you’ll need the numbers off the product.
If you've registered your device at Edge you don’t need to worry about it.
Just proceed to talk to customer service/tech support.
Please give EDGE a TELEPHONE call, that's the quickest way to answer your concerns.
Edge has to set it up so you can log into FUSION and download whatever your looking for on your device.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU'LL BE ABLE TO ADD ANY PID ON YOUR DEVICE, internet searching will not get you anywhere.
I've mentioned this several times already on this thread.
for edge being really one of the only companies that offer aftermarket screens for just monitoring, they truly make some garbage quality equipment. hopefully you are getting some sort of kickback with as much as you are hyping up edge products...blaaabla

Busted, I’m trolling the whole dam Dmax forum, just like everyone else that’s trying to assist the first time Dmax and Allison owners with questions with what we’ve found that works the best. :x

I forgot to mention, I came over from a 03 Furd PowerChoke, I thought I knew everything when it comes to a light duty diesel truck.
what playersZ28 is telling you, is that you haven't offered anything that was useful to this thread. most of what you are offering is a parroted version of posts from other threads with your condescending spin tacked on it because somebody does something different with their newer platform that what you do with your older platform.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I'm sorry you don't understand how this works with Edge products when you don't have a specific PID on your device and would like to see if it can be added. I'm just trying to help one's that don't know any better.
In your case you just don't want to accept the facts.
I had thought about buying a newer truck so I might be able to be included in your exclusive know everything club, but I decided I couldn't stoop that low.
It's only garbage to the one's that know less on how to operate something than what they claim they do know. :stickpoke

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I'm sorry you don't understand how this works with Edge products when you don't have a specific PID on your device and would like to see if it can be added. I'm just trying to help one's that don't know any better.
In your case you just don't want to accept the facts.
I had thought about buying a newer truck so I might be able to be included in your exclusive know everything club, but I decided I couldn't stoop that low.
It's only garbage to the one's that know less on how to operate something than what they claim they do know. :stickpoke
HAHAHAHAHA...……….you literally just proved my point!

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Used a Y adapter but you cant run two devices at once due to OBD configuration so I used a three way rocker, middle is off top is idash bottom is CTS2, so when one is selected the other is off. I used the power wire from OBD to the switch

21 - 37 of 37 Posts