Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 3500HD, LML, Crew Cab, 4WD, LTZ, DRW
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently added an Edge CTS3 for my LML. So far I am happy with it, but I have questions I am hoping folks here can answer. I searched and read as many related posts as I could find, but here is what I still need. Since Edge renames some of the PIDs and I can not find a list available anywhere I made my own list of PIDs right off the CTS3 on my 2013 LML. (I'd be happy to share.) What I would like to know right now is what PIDs onto Edge are the NOx sensors? And, if you know where there is a list. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,709 Posts
Might try and call Edge and ask them.

Reactions: dbaswell

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
165 Posts
I use an EDGE CS2 (non touch). Should have the same options. I’ve been using the same one from a 16 gasser to my 16 LML and now on my L5P. I don’t recall seeing any PID for Nox. I’ve been through them all many times over the years as the firmware or software updates. That’s not to say I couldn’t have missed it though. Edge customer service is pretty good if you give them a call as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After about a 45 minute wait in hold I did get through to a tech at Edge. He acted as surprised as I am to find out that the CTS3 does not have a PID that will display the NOx sensors’ values. This is a serious fail. OBD Fusion will show them and it is only costs a few bucks. Having just gone through a $6k repair of my DPF system that may well have begun or been exacerbated by bad NOx sensors, and given their failings related to ammonia slip among other things, being able to see what they are doing is pretty important I think. Here is my latest 2013 LML story to back that up. NOx Sensor 1 was replace in January of 2020. In December the truck threw a P20EE and I parked it until the first of the year when I took it to the dealer. On the 90 minute drive to the dealer I got a fluid quality warning and 1000 mile countdown. They had it for a week and told me I had likely run it out of DEF and that everything checked fine after the forced a regen or two. Half way home it went way south with the same errors as before and DEF warning light. Back to the dealer for 2 months. They changed NOx sensor 2 and opened a ticket with Chevrolet after they couldn’t find anything, but couldn’t get the codes to go away. Chevrolet had them replace both (the new) NOx Sensors again - still no luck. Next Chevrolet decided maybe it was the DPF “system” so yes that was replaced. By now we are up to a $6k estimate and after a 100 mile test drive it went berserk again. Two says later it was allegedly fixed and Chevrolet gave me a 5 year extended warranty on the “drive train.” The dealer reduced the final bill to $4500. Keep in mind that I could see sensor 2 was not behaving properly with OBD Fusion on tech drive back to the shop.

Anyway, I guess I am pretty disappointed that Edge does not include the PIDs for the sensors. I am requesting they add them in a future software update. I’d return the CTS3 but I do want to be able to monitor and force regens.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not understanding why you need to see NOx sensors. You can see soot load on DPF. When the load gets to where you normally see a regen happening & it's not you know something abnormal happening.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe there are several reasons I want to monitor them. Since the DIC never gave the slightest indication there was anything wrong until the chain that triggered a $6k repair was well under way I am interested in watching all the indicators I can. Although I can't prove it, it would be nice to know if changing both NOx sensors BEFORE replacing the $4k DPF system might have fixed it - or for that matter if there was a problem in tuning that led to way everything reacted and did not show properly in the DIC or codes - or if I got a bad set of NOx sensors when they were originally replaced. (No I have not ever tuned the engine.) Using OBD Fusion, on the way back to the dealer I could see that NOx Sensor 2 was not reporting correct parameters, and 1 was a bit intermittent. For a few weeks the tech insisted they both tested fine and it wasn't until he was advised by Chevy TAC to replace both sensors - TWICE - that we got closer to a solution. The three attached links might help explain why I am interested.
Bulletin No.: PIP5007D Date: Aug-2014 -
Bulletin No.: 06 - Engine 12-06-04-002C Date: September, 2014
P20EE: SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.