Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

I have the Edge Evo and have been running it on level 3(65hp) and like how the truck runs. I have been wanting to install a transgo and will finally get to it this week.

What HP is the 6 speed good for with the transgo? Is it safe to run the level 4 (100HP) tune and not have to worry about hurting the transmission?

I am sure this has been asked before, but needed to ask. Search feature is hit and miss sometimes.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
With a transgo you can definetly run that 100hp. If you don't ever plan on a built trans I would still be careful of the shifts in the high gears

Sent while driving from my iPhone...

·
Registered
487 Posts
i had the edge evo race cts for about a year on the stock trans before building my trans and getting efi live. I liked the 3 setting alot, and never even went into the higher settings more than once or twice. When George (aka Big Dipper) pulled my trans he told me that it had definitely burned a little bit in some of the higher gears (4th and 5th). I think ull be okay as long as ur not running the hell outta it in the higher gears, but it wont last forever.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know. Even running it on level 3 I am worried I am tearing something up. I would love a built trans, but that is not in the budget at this point. Need to make it last as long as possible.

So would it best to stay in level 3 with the transgo? I have ran level 4 and it is awesome. But I can tell it is taxing the transmission.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
honestly if you can keep your foot out of on the freeway most of the time i would run lvl 4. you will probably get better mileage... or just run 3 and when ever you want to play go to 4...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly if you can keep your foot out of on the freeway most of the time i would run lvl 4. you will probably get better mileage... or just run 3 and when ever you want to play go to 4...
Sounds like a sound plan.
I drive a 2001 VW TDI Jetta 100 miles round trip to work. There are a couple of coworkers with a dodge 1500 hemi, an acura something quick and a subaru wrx that is always talking their mess and takes advantage of my poor 90 Hp VW.

I have messed with the acura, I couldnt pass him, had a problem keeping traction when we made the onto the highway but it made him timid to mess with me again. Every now and then when I feel like burning diesel I drive my truck to work and hope to catch one of them on the way home. I am not worried about the dodge, I want the subaru.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any body know anyone in the south texas region that builds transmissions?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I am 99% positive level 3 is +80 horsepower..

I've got a transgo jr. sitting in the basement waiting for install. I plan to test out lvl 4 shortly thereafter. performance and mpg tests

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what the manual says for mine:
level 1 : economy 25 hp
level 2 : tow 45hp
level 3 : performance 65hp
level 4 : extreme 100hp

Iddrew, how do you like your yokohoma's?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have run level four a handful of times and have never limped it BUT the Torque converter does not like it!

I have run level three on the few trips i have been on with no trailer but otherwise my truck lives on level 2. Level 4 has some zip to it for sure, hitting resume on the highway when you had it a 70 from fifty is not very wise...

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
This is what the manual says for mine:
level 1 : economy 25 hp
level 2 : tow 45hp
level 3 : performance 65hp
level 4 : extreme 100hp

Iddrew, how do you like your yokohoma's?
interesting, is yours the old syle instead of a CS/CTS? that's probably what it is

the yokohomas are doing very well for me. I've got them aired to 75psi and after 10,000 miles they look about like new. even the front left that had a bad wheel bearing looks top notch. I haven't had them rotated yet... need to get on that. But everything I have read says they last good and they are well respected for their strength. I would buy them again for sure. But I haven't used a full set yet. Traction is very good on all surfaces I've tested, except wet grass :rofl. Only blown them off once on pavement and it was soaked and on purpose... :drink

Oh did I mention they were CHEAP! I know tires have gone up, but they were less than all the other tires i was considering.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I have the old edge evo. I have the michelin at2's and love them but hate the price. Always looking for a cheaper equivlent

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
yeah i hear you. we've got a set of those on our 4runner. or maybe they're ms2's.. i forget.

but yeah they are fairly inexpensive, not too agressive, so good road manners and quiet, but give good (for a somewhat mild a/t) traction offroad.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i think your trans would be okay in lvl 3-4 w/ transgo, just try to lay off in higher gears.
I actually just sold my 2002 VW Jetta TDI haaha... it had been my commuter for the past 9 years. Gotta love 92hp of FURY! 0-60 in 16seconds FLAT! :gearjamin
Im not commuting anymore so i sold it, then called Scott @ SDP happyjump

·
Registered
487 Posts
oh and i forgot to mention that the LMM trans seems to be exceptionally hard to limp... but that doesnt mean ur not tearing it up, so if ur pushing it thinking that its safe because it will limp itself, u could end up causing a lot of damage and never limp it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a sound plan.
I drive a 2001 VW TDI Jetta 100 miles round trip to work. There are a couple of coworkers with a dodge 1500 hemi, an acura something quick and a subaru wrx that is always talking their mess and takes advantage of my poor 90 Hp VW.

I have messed with the acura, I couldnt pass him, had a problem keeping traction when we made the onto the highway but it made him timid to mess with me again. Every now and then when I feel like burning diesel I drive my truck to work and hope to catch one of them on the way home. I am not worried about the dodge, I want the subaru.
I messed around with a wrx in traffic once. I think it would of been pretty close but there was too much traffic to get on it hard. I only run on level 1 too. Damn kid kept shaking his head at me. (must not know much about diesel)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts