Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this forum for the last three days and have not found the answer to this question. I read somewhere that the Evo Race has a turbo brake on the second setting. Is this true? There is a local shop that does EFI live and can give me three tunes and the dps5 switch for just under 400 dollars. With a gauge package this will be about the same price as an edge evo race. Not looking for great power, just better fuel milage and a good tow tune for hauling the boat and on occasion a 33 foot TT. I know EFI live is best if you want unlimited power, but that is not what I am looking for. I have also heard good things about the Evo race. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, the Edge Evo does have a turbo brake feature in level 2 when the tow/haul mode is on. However, you may see a better result with EFI live.

I plan on going guages and EFI when I get a new truck someday.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
With EFI u can have the tunes made exactly how u want them, if the person tuning knows what theyre doing and you will probably see better results

But the EVO RACE does have the whole package in one, you will just have to play around with the tunes to find the ones that will get close enough to what youre looking for

With EFI you would see better MPG overall towing/city/hwy if it is tuned correctly

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will I need a egr block plate with the evo? Thanks for the quick reply guys, this forum has a wealth of information for a new Dmax owner!!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
you mean the option to block the code? an EGR plate is completely different and purchased seperatley but Im sure Tyler can hook you up with a package deal. I know EFI can block it for sure, tyler will know if it can black codes with the EVO

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently put in an Edge Evo Race CS in my truck. I love it and was able to get 18 mpg around town and a little hwy last weekend.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!!! I have alot of questions, I guess I will give Tyler a call sometime in the near future. I like the CS guage, but not sure if the extra money will be in the budget, when the time comes.
The race will block the code, but I will still need the plate, correct?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys for answering my questions, You have more to add please feel free. I am always looking for more info.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know if i'm chiming in too late but i have been running the evo race cs for a month or so now. Even before the twins the programmer runs strong pulling(on 2 heaviest load so far around 15k according to scrap metal scales) as well as around town. I get 18 mpg consistantly on level 5 in town and 21.5-22.5 on the hwy running 70-75 mph with my wheel/tire combo and the diagnostic/gauges are the obvious plus. My biggest problem is the high EGTs even at lower levels and a light foot. As long as you don't get the diesel fever too bad this tuner will do what you are wanting it to do. However, i'm going efi in the next few weeks so I might have one up for sale.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know if i'm chiming in too late but i have been running the evo race cs for a month or so now. Even before the twins the programmer runs strong pulling(on 2 heaviest load so far around 15k according to scrap metal scales) as well as around town. I get 18 mpg consistantly on level 5 in town and 21.5-22.5 on the hwy running 70-75 mph with my wheel/tire combo and the diagnostic/gauges are the obvious plus. My biggest problem is the high EGTs even at lower levels and a light foot. As long as you don't get the diesel fever too bad this tuner will do what you are wanting it to do. However, i'm going efi in the next few weeks so I might have one up for sale.
BTW you definately want to at least block the egr. $10 for the plate and 10 min for the install keeps all that black smoke from gumming up your intake. Best thing for the money/time you can do for your truck

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Corey,
Let me know if you decide to get rid of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Corey,
Let me know if you decide to get rid of it.
Well, i'll tell you now that i'm going to get rid of it in the coming weeks. I just talked to my efi live tuner and I am going to schedule it ;not this weekend but maybe the next. I have the paperwork and the box as well. I called edge today to make sure it was not locked to my vin, which as long as i return it to stock we are good to go. However, i didn't realize your truck is an lly until i started this response so i'll check before we move ahead. I know it fits the lbz and the lmm. I just installed the twins and deleted my egr so I'll throw in the blocker plate just because i no longer have use for it if you still need it. call me @931-320-2004 to talk about it if your would like to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.