Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting the insight for my truck but was wondering if the non expandable EGT probe comes with everything to hookk it up and make it work on my truck? Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I see. I thought the boost was read through the ECM? Do I have to buy a boost sensor too?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh I see. I thought the boost was read through the ECM? Do I have to buy a boost sensor too?
I was under the same impression, that boost was read from the ECM. Wonder how high the factory boost sensor reads. Might need an analog tap after a certain pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It does read boost up off the ecm, but after 23psi on a lb7 you'll need the expandable boost sensor. On the LMM it reads to 34psi off the ecm, that I have seen. I don't know about the lly's or lbz's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't know. Can any say if you need a boost sensor or if it reads it from the ECM?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does read boost up off the ecm, but after 23psi on a lb7 you'll need the expandable boost sensor. On the LMM it reads to 34psi off the ecm, that I have seen. I don't know about the lly's or lbz's.
We posted at the same time lol

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Maybe someone will chime in on the LBZ ECM boost reading. Got my insight CTS sitting here in the floor along with my EGR delete and if the ECM can't give me an accurate reading I will tap in the delete tube.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its rediculous how much each sensor cost. $129.00 each for the EGT sensor and the boost sensor! I understand it's a pretty cool scan tool and everything but jeeze

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
my edge evo will show up to 34lbs as far as ive seen

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Edge CS on LLY w/EGT

I've got the Edge Insight CS on my LLY with the EGT probe.

The Insight reads boost fine, although I can't say I've seen more than ~24psi boost ever on my truck (and I pull a 10Klb camprer often)

Works awesome - although, I WISH I had gone ahead and gotten the CTS.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Boost max on my LBZ is 26. It doesn't read higher. I am thinking about selling mine and just getting regular gauges now that I have EFI Live V2 I really don't need it, and can't see spending close to another $300 just to add a boost sensor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I don't see where they come of with these prices.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I've got the Edge Insight CS on my LLY with the EGT probe.

The Insight reads boost fine, although I can't say I've seen more than ~24psi boost ever on my truck (and I pull a 10Klb camprer often)

Works awesome - although, I WISH I had gone ahead and gotten the CTS.
I doubt youv seen over 23 via the insight. Because thats as high as it goes. It reads it from the MAP iirc, and the ecm will not read over that set amount via the obd2 port. Get a mechanical boost gauge or add a boost gague to the insight itself. the lbz and lmm will read from a different spot and go to 30psi and above

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I doubt youv seen over 23 via the insight. Because thats as high as it goes. It reads it from the MAP iirc, and the ecm will not read over that set amount via the obd2 port. Get a mechanical boost gauge or add a boost gague to the insight itself. the lbz and lmm will read from a different spot and go to 30psi and above

X2

I've never seen my CTS read over 23.xx psi on my LLY.
I was told that sometimes new MAP sensors on an LLY will read slightly higher, but maybe 1 psi at best.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I was doing some data logging with EFI Live and the max boost I saw there was 30.6lbs under "actual boost pressure" and 44lbs under "turbo boost pressure." Does EFI Live read differently or am I looking at the wrong PID to begin with. I have been told about the 23lb limit before and now trying to figure out what I am seeing here.

Edit: I know this really belongs in the EFI Live section but I am asking the questions prior to settling on a gauge setup and the Insight is currently at the top of the list.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I was doing some data logging with EFI Live and the max boost I saw there was 30.6lbs under "actual boost pressure" and 44lbs under "turbo boost pressure." Does EFI Live read differently or am I looking at the wrong PID to begin with. I have been told about the 23lb limit before and now trying to figure out what I am seeing here.

Edit: I know this really belongs in the EFI Live section but I am asking the questions prior to settling on a gauge setup and the Insight is currently at the top of the list.

I thought EFI read absolute pressures and if this were the case you'd need to subtract your Barometric pressure (13.3 psi) from both of them in order to get the readings you're looking for.

So I'd get:
44.0 - 13.3 = 30.7 psi = "turbo boost pressure"

I don't know enough to say what the difference is between actual boost and turbo boost pressure, but hopefully someone smarter than I will chime in on that. I'm looking at getting EFI myself so it would be helpful to know the difference and I'd be happy to post any differences between what the Insight read versus any EFI logging.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Something to think about, the CTS runs through the OBD2 port as well as EFI live. So if you were going down the track wanting to log, then you would have to unhook your gauges?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Something to think about, the CTS runs through the OBD2 port as well as EFI live. So if you were going down the track wanting to log, then you would have to unhook your gauges?
if your going balls out on the track are you really gonna watch that egt gauge the whole way down ? cause i dont

Youd be better off logging

·
Registered
231 Posts
I thought EFI read absolute pressures and if this were the case you'd need to subtract your Barometric pressure (13.3 psi) from both of them in order to get the readings you're looking for.

So I'd get:
44.0 - 13.3 = 30.7 psi = "turbo boost pressure"

I don't know enough to say what the difference is between actual boost and turbo boost pressure, but hopefully someone smarter than I will chime in on that. I'm looking at getting EFI myself so it would be helpful to know the difference and I'd be happy to post any differences between what the Insight read versus any EFI logging.
Makes sense. So then how do the other gauges get their readings? I would think that the same sensors are available through the OBDII port no matter what is looking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts