Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, I am new to your site. I have spent alot of time reading posts about different tuners. First off let me tell you what truck I have. Its a 2006 LBZ CC. I have only changed the wheels and tires, nothing else. I am looking to add a exhaust to it shortly. I would like to add a programmer to increase my milleage and at the same time gain some power. I tow often and its usually unnanounced I live on a farm if that helps. I was looking at the Edge Juice with Attitude monitor and the Banks 6 gun with PDA. I want to keep this truck as long as possible so I am not interested in high h.p tunes that could do serious damage to my truck. Does anyone have any guidance on which would suit these needs better than the other or one more reliable than the other? I have two local shops and one pushes one tuner while the other Banks so its confusing. I wouldnt even ask this question if they had a consensus answer. They also sell both so I ruled out that they cant get the competitors product.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off welcome to the forum..good question and one that deserves a honest anwser but also one that has created some serious debates but you hear from other drivers experiences with the LBZ that towand drive it like a car,so here goes my experience..i have a 06 LBZ CC SB and this is what i did on my truck to increase economy and hp,PPE tuner along with a exhaust and the ppe CAI mod and i gained 3 to 4mpg over stock as an average with some towing(around 8k#)..the one thing i wanna say is if you want a long engine and stock tranny life do not add more then 90hp extra so with that said the best tuner for the dollar is the Diablo and i have heard some problems with the edge stuff such as causeing weird eletrical function on the truck now this isn't on all ofem but it has been known to do that and what ever you do stay away from the banks i know of 3 demax's with blown computers and other stuff caused by the banks..the one really nice thing about edge is the attitude monitor with the gauges but for what the edge costs and for what a Diablo cost along with the Boost"n"EGT gauges cost you'll still be further ahead with the Diablo or PPE then the Edge and one other thing the edge is adjustable on the witch is nice but hard on the Allison tranny seeing the ally has a memroy in it that makes it shift according to the driving habits of the driver so when you add more hp all of a sudden and do not allow the tranny to relearn you will run into problems alot sooner that way..sorry for the long post and i hope this helps..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please dont appologize for a long post, if I get more from a long post I always appreciate it. This is great detailed information. I actually ordered the PPE tuner, the standard one. Then spoke to my dealer and they advised against it. They told me they have no issues with me using the banks system or something similar thats how I got the Banks vs Edge question. I am going to actually sell the PPE to my brother that has the same truck with more milleage so he is out of warranty and it makes no difference to him. I havent made that transaction yet though. The dealer was telling me how the Banks had safeguards that would come into play and assist in me not damaging the truck where the PPE and the other similar products didnt. I know the Edge had them also thats why I went with them in this question too. The Banks is very expensive from what I can tell but not out of my price range since I havent dont much else to the truck aside from tires and wheels.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
heres one for ya,i ran my LBZ with the PPE on for 30k miles and then had i returned it to the stock tune and i took the truck back to the dealership to have it updated and i asked him to check to see if the truck ever had a tuner on it so after about 5 min.s he said nope it has a clean system so i never told him other wise but i'm guessing a very educated guy could find it but it would take some time to find the fault in the stock tuning..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm pulling the six-gun off my LB7. Been having electrical issues... not sure if the Banks if the culprit, but it will be getting the boot shortly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'd go with diablo or PPE, but if i had to pick of the two, i'd go with edge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll throw in another option...I have used the Superchip Flashpaq and the Bully Dog Triple Dog with Outlook Monitor. For the money and flexbility, I recommend the Triple Dog with Outlook. It has the guages you need to monitor pyro along with other things. You can tune any brand of truck, so if you trade, you can keep your tuner. And it comes with automatic updates.

You can change settings on the fly and I have had no problems with the Ally relearning the setting. This may be a problem if you hot-rod it, but with somewhat mature driving, it isn't a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no idea that the Bully Dog was able to be reconfigured to different vehicles if you trade. That is a great selling feature. I did look at the Bully Dog with the PMT monitor I liked how it integrated the navigation into one unit. I have been tossing around adding a navigation system to the truck.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
All are good options depending on budget and need.

The PMT is pretty cool, and like the triple dog, works on the 03 up dodge, all Dmax and all 6.0L Powerstrokes! nice looking monitor too. And to boot, you can get a pillar mount for it, unlike the Edge A2 that has no real mount to speak of. I just shipped a PMT to a guy with a Dodge monday and so far he loves it.

Bang for buck the diablo kicks!

The Edge is a good midrange performance option. With the attitude monitor its a pretty good deal.

The Banks is expensive. They work, some guys have had issues, but that can happen with any tuner or chip. Consider the Banks an entry level performance upgrade. There are better units out there for the same or less money. However, their intercooler kits and exhaust are pretty nice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
just installed the pda with the banks today and it far more superior than the edge... my friends have been havin issue's with the edge lately around here.

Bullydog has been good to others.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the one thing you have to watch with a adjustable on the fly tuner is your Allison tranny has a built in memory to adjust shifting patters and hardness of shift to the drivers driving habits and when you switch different levels of hp tunes and don't allow the tranny to relearn you will run into trouble alot sooner and the some ofem are weird shifting patters to rough shifting..i had bully dog and it did a great job as long as i let the tranny relearn or put it on a setting and leave it there but if i didn't it about ruined my tranny by the time i figured out what the problem was..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks for all the insight guys. I was looking at Edge and banks then came across this stuff from Bully Dog and it seems that there is not alot said about them. However, most of what is said is not bad. I can find tons of information on the Edge and Banks and its 50-50 good vs. bad experiences. I do think the ability to tune more than one brand of truck is great. I have had times when I go years with the same truck then times when its just 3 years or 2 years. A mount is also important to me, I like a neat finished look to things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts