Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
That's what my plan was, if I don't like it or start to have problems I know I could sell it for $80 an get my money back.

Dont run it on the higher levels for a tranny learn if your not going to use them. The Allison is constantly learning and making adjustments, so if you change the tune often it will constantly be learning, and slip the shiznit out of it. Leave it where you want to run it with programming like the Juice. In my opinion it's too harsh for changing on the fly like it is designed. The point everyone is making is, the tuning is not the best, but will give you the results your looking for. If you abuse your truck with this tuning you WILL have problems. If you don't listen to our advice about the tranny learn you WILL have problems. If you continue to run the Edge Juice w/Attitude for years, you WILL have problems. But for 80 bucks it's a good temporary investment.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
^^^^ thank you for all your help yes this was just a temporarily investment till I can either get a ppe tuner or efi live, one last question if I plan just to keep it on level 1 all time I should just not even mess with the other settings for the trans relearn?

^^^^ thank you for all your help yes this was just a temporarily investment till I can either get a ppe tuner or efi live, one last question if I plan just to keep it on level 1 all time I should just not even mess with the other settings for the trans relearn?
Right! But if you do want to "show off" or try out a higher level, let it learn for a hour or so. It will shift at every possible shift point while learning, so it needs alot of time to figure this out. If it's doing this while your abusing it at a higher level than you usually drive on it will do irreversable damage.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Ya dont plan to show off cause none of my friends have a diesel and duramax's are clean burning diesels and I bought a dually to tow with and just wanted a little extra power so thought an edge for $80 would be worth the investment and I dont want to beat the shit out my truck and have to dump a ton of money to fix it, thats why I wont even let someone borrow my truck at all, last question since I only want to run Level 1-3 I will drive it on each level for a day, so does that mean the trans will of learned when to shift on each of those 3 levels and then I can drop it back down to 1?

The trans will not memorize the settings. It will relearn every time you change settings. So thats why I continue to say... Stay in one setting for the least problems! And if you change it just know that it will relearn again because there is nothing (very little) stored from the first time you ran that level!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
The trans will not memorize the settings. It will relearn every time you change settings. So thats why I continue to say... Stay in one setting for the least problems! And if you change it just know that it will relearn again because there is nothing (very little) stored from the first time you ran that level!
Gotcha, i might just leave it on level one or two and call it a day and let it be so I have no problems, would I get better mileage on 1 or 2 and will is be safe to tow in either one of those levels? As you stated shifting on the "FLY" is NO, and let the trans relearn the shifting points, I just dont want to destroy my trans thats why I want to keep it on the lower levels and I drive like an older guy

Gotcha, i might just leave it on level one or two and call it a day and let it be so I have no problems, would I get better mileage on 1 or 2 and will is be safe to tow in either one of those levels? As you stated shifting on the "FLY" is NO, and let the trans relearn the shifting points, I just dont want to destroy my trans thats why I want to keep it on the lower levels and I drive like an older guy
The higher the power level, the better the mileage typically because it adds more timing and runs more efficiently. You could get away with level 3 just fine, even with towing (worked just fine for me). As long as you not towing 20K up a 8% grade or something. Just as long as you keep the EGTs in check, all is good.

But if you dont want to, Level 2 is where you wanna be for what you plan on doing.

The higher the power level, the better the mileage typically because it adds more timing and runs more efficiently. You could get away with level 3 just fine, even with towing (worked just fine for me). As long as you not towing 20K up a 8% grade or something. Just as long as you keep the EGTs in check, all is good.

But if you dont want to, Level 2 is where you wanna be for what you plan on doing.
This is exactly how I feel too!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
So I guess level 2 it is for the all around happy medium and to be trans safe? 60hp over stock is good?

When I am doing all in town driving I leave it on level 5 for best fuel mileage. But if I leave it there on the highway for a long time, my exhaust starts to get a haze, so I switch it to level two on the highway.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
What level are you towing in if you do? Level 2? So would level 2 be a good level for around town driving an towing cause I want to keep it on a level an let it stay their.

Level 2 is your best bet for all around driving with a stock trans!

Discussion starter · #34 ·
How many miles do I need to drive before I can really switch levels? Ive driven about 30 miles or more on level 1 an is it ok to go to level 2?

Um im guessing you miss understood. You can start on whatever level you plan on using but you need to be easy on the throttle for around 30 miles to let the trans learn the new tuning.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Oh, ya I did, I thought I'd have to drive on the first 3 levels, one a day an then put it on the level I want. Sorry for feeling stupid

Discussion starter · #38 ·
So would level 2 60HP over stock be safe with a stock trans and towing 13k lbs?

Yep! You should be fine.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.