Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Edge Juice w/ Attitude

21K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Chavez91 
#1 ·
I know most of you hate Edge but is it an ok programmer? I can't afford efi live an the guy that's selling is a good buddy of mine that works at Industrial injection. I don't plan running any higher than level 3 just looking for a tiny bit of extra power an will keep it on level 1

#3 ·
Its the older style one, an that's all I plan to use it as a daily driver on level 1 an tow on level one as well so its safe for the trans, I know a bunch are out their being used as you said

#4 ·
I recently used the Juice w/ attitude to tow across Canada, (January) and it farked up. Shows 5th gear (not locked) after 30 minutes or so. When you stop, shift points change to something like tow haul but about 700 rpm higher for each shift) amd display stays on 5th gear. Turn the truck off for a minute and back on and it will work ok for another 30 minutes. Prior to my trip, it worked just fine. I think the sub 40 degree with who knows how cold wind chill on top of that , did it in. I just ordered EFI live from Dustin, with the CTS upgrade... Bye bye troubles!!! :)

#5 ·
Edge Juice w/Attitude is the first programmer that was on my truck. It was a decent programmer, but honestly it had it's issues. I had to replace my crankshaft position sensor because of this programmer. It confuses different sensors into thinking something different than reality. This is far different than EFI Live. EFI Live reprograms everything... it does not distort anything. Edge J/A also makes it seem like youve got more power by adjusting the timing, fueling and throttle position. Although EFI Live tuners will adjust some of these tables, it's much more involved and precise.

If your going to get the E J/A dont switch tunes alot on the fly without allowing the trans to "re-learn". With this tuner the transmission tends to slip quite a bit if you don't allow a relearn when switching to a higher setting. I would drive in level 3 and use it for everything. So I could have some consistency. You can easily tow on level 3 and get decent milage. I definately like the monitoring of the EDGE products. I suggest watching EGT's, Boost, Transmission slip, and the last one is up to you. I usually watched these three and my speed. The 0-60 tests and 1/4 mile tests are cool too.

#6 ·
The old juice with attitude is junk. They are known to cause all sorts of issues. Not to mention terrible shifting patterns. 4 years ago when i had my lb7 it came with a juice and it shifted so hard, slammed gears like crazy. Worst tuner ever. Save your money man and put it towards efi.

#7 ·
Well I bought it, it was only $80 for the chip an a pillar mount an the guy installed it as well, I figured for $80 what the hell I'll give it a shot, seems to work very well an already a noticeable difference, if I don't like it I know I can sell it an make my money back

#8 ·
An $80 edge programmer Isn't worth all the issues I've heard of them causing. Efi live retunes the ECM, it dosent fool a bunch Of parameters. I wouldn't trust anything that operates through the obd continually to modify pids. Just my opinion

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Edge J/A doesn't operate through the OBDII. Only the CS and CTS does.

#14 ·
Just do as I mentioned in my previous post and it should be ok for a while. Yes, 80 bucks is great! You may find that in the not so distant future you get codes, and sensors failing. Make sure when you ask for help that you mention your running the Edge J/A. The first reccomendation will be to unhook the programmer from the bail connectors and return the truck to stock. FYI even on the "Stock" setting the E J/A changes timing, so it's being fooled on any program level.

#15 ·
Here is my $80 purchase, came with the pillar mount an egt probe but the probe isn't installed yet.

#16 ·
Does anyone know the power levels on the old monitor or are they the same as the cs/cts?

#18 · (Edited)
The older style actually made more power than the newer cs/cts... to my understanding, they turned down the power some to protect the transmission better because its pretty rough on the stock tranny.

Here's the Power Levels

Horsepower Torque
Level 1: 40HP 150 TQ
Level 2: 60HP 180 TQ
Level 3: 75HP 200 TQ
Level 4: 90HP 250 TQ
Level 5: 125HP 325 TQ
Level 6: 150HP 350 TQ (Contact Edge Products Tech Support to get unlock code.)

Level 4+ WILL limp a stock trans... if you don't give the trans time to relearn, its even possible for you to limp it on the 4-5 shift on level 3.
Like was stated above, just make sure that you give the trans time to relearn between changing levels. And if you're going to go above level 3, I would recommend locking out of O/D cause the 4-5 shift is your enemy.

#17 ·
if it was the last programmer on earth i wouldent run it, i hated edge with all the problems i had, if i were you i would look for a used PPE programmer

#19 ·
Thanks, ya I don't plan on going any higher than level 2 I bought it for a little extra power for towing, I know ppl that have 200k miles with their Edge J/A an have not had a problem with it, if I keep it on level 1 all the time is their anything I should really worry about? An since I don't plan on going any higher than level 3 should I still put the truck on level 4/5 for the trans to learn an then drop it back down to level 1 cause that's where I want it to stay

#20 ·
Hell I woulda bought it for 80 bucks too. Try it out see if you like it and if your truck starts having some problems take it off right away and sell it for 200. Just my.02

#21 ·
That's what my plan was, if I don't like it or start to have problems I know I could sell it for $80 an get my money back.

#22 ·
Dont run it on the higher levels for a tranny learn if your not going to use them. The Allison is constantly learning and making adjustments, so if you change the tune often it will constantly be learning, and slip the shiznit out of it. Leave it where you want to run it with programming like the Juice. In my opinion it's too harsh for changing on the fly like it is designed. The point everyone is making is, the tuning is not the best, but will give you the results your looking for. If you abuse your truck with this tuning you WILL have problems. If you don't listen to our advice about the tranny learn you WILL have problems. If you continue to run the Edge Juice w/Attitude for years, you WILL have problems. But for 80 bucks it's a good temporary investment.

#23 ·
^^^^ thank you for all your help yes this was just a temporarily investment till I can either get a ppe tuner or efi live, one last question if I plan just to keep it on level 1 all time I should just not even mess with the other settings for the trans relearn?

#24 ·
^^^^ thank you for all your help yes this was just a temporarily investment till I can either get a ppe tuner or efi live, one last question if I plan just to keep it on level 1 all time I should just not even mess with the other settings for the trans relearn?
Right! But if you do want to "show off" or try out a higher level, let it learn for a hour or so. It will shift at every possible shift point while learning, so it needs alot of time to figure this out. If it's doing this while your abusing it at a higher level than you usually drive on it will do irreversable damage.

#25 ·
Ya dont plan to show off cause none of my friends have a diesel and duramax's are clean burning diesels and I bought a dually to tow with and just wanted a little extra power so thought an edge for $80 would be worth the investment and I dont want to beat the shit out my truck and have to dump a ton of money to fix it, thats why I wont even let someone borrow my truck at all, last question since I only want to run Level 1-3 I will drive it on each level for a day, so does that mean the trans will of learned when to shift on each of those 3 levels and then I can drop it back down to 1?

#26 ·
The trans will not memorize the settings. It will relearn every time you change settings. So thats why I continue to say... Stay in one setting for the least problems! And if you change it just know that it will relearn again because there is nothing (very little) stored from the first time you ran that level!

#27 ·
Gotcha, i might just leave it on level one or two and call it a day and let it be so I have no problems, would I get better mileage on 1 or 2 and will is be safe to tow in either one of those levels? As you stated shifting on the "FLY" is NO, and let the trans relearn the shifting points, I just dont want to destroy my trans thats why I want to keep it on the lower levels and I drive like an older guy

#30 ·
So I guess level 2 it is for the all around happy medium and to be trans safe? 60hp over stock is good?

#31 ·
When I am doing all in town driving I leave it on level 5 for best fuel mileage. But if I leave it there on the highway for a long time, my exhaust starts to get a haze, so I switch it to level two on the highway.

#32 ·
What level are you towing in if you do? Level 2? So would level 2 be a good level for around town driving an towing cause I want to keep it on a level an let it stay their.

#33 ·
Level 2 is your best bet for all around driving with a stock trans!

#34 ·
How many miles do I need to drive before I can really switch levels? Ive driven about 30 miles or more on level 1 an is it ok to go to level 2?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.