Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW why the FXXX didnt i do it earlier??

Especially when i build race shxt for a living (m/c) but i LOVE my LMM now finally..i hated it honestly for the first year.. mine is 2009 Duramax Crew Cab 4wd Long box Dually LTZ fully loaded. The truck was a PIG! my ex trucks (2005 F350, 2008 Dodge 2500) were WAY faster, quicker, towed better, and got tons better mpg!

My previous mods were nothing but 265/17" tires..thats it. I was getting bad mpg

Town commuting (i drive HARD) 9-11mpg
Freeway (say 2 race bikes in the bed @800lbs) @75mph 11-12mpg
Towing (our 1 trailer is 28' @12k loaded) @60mph 8-10mpg

Now with the MRBP full exhaust 4" turbo back with muffler, Down pipe (forget brand) and the EDGE Race set to LEVEL 2

Town 13-14mpg
Freeway (800lbs in bed) @75mph 14-16mpg
Towing (12k 28') @11-13mpg

To me thats HUGE!!! it was only @$900 for it ALL from Alligator Performance (just a quick HUGE POSITIVE experience with them! GREAT pricing, FAST shipping, great communication, etc..ill recommend and thank them as much as i can!)

I have tried various levels
0 (stock) Still runs way better..sounds great and pulls nicer..still truck is turd
2 this is the one i tow with and normally run. pulls SO much better, spools up nicely, sounds bad ass
3. I hated this one..maybe parameters are off?? but it ran like shit, shifted badly, felt like shit
4. i LOVE this one around town...truck is very aggressive..ex temps a bit high thou when ya meat fist the throttle

never gone higher...stock engine/fueling/trans.

Overall im SOOO happy i cant explain how much better the truck is. yes i have a warranty still...sure i might have warranty issues but fxxk it..this IS HOW IT SHOULD HAVE RUN TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

My guys (again M/C techs, not car/truck guys) got it all done in one afternoon (sure we have a 12k race shop so more than avg guy at home) but they had zero issues in putting it all in...the ONLY bitch was the DOWN PIPE! WTF whoever designed the oem one should literally step back and slap themselves! That and the oil dip stick (trans iirc) now had to be modified (wish i had known ahead of time) but no biggie..its aftermarket shit, we do it all day long with race bikes.

Seriously i put this up cause i searched A LOT and there are several review but i wanted to make a real world one for avg guy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now a few questions for you guys (especially if you have the same/similar setup)

1. What are normal EX GAS TEMPS??
---around town i run 400-600..when i floor it to smoke a prius it jumps to 1000-1200..when towing up STEEP passes with 12k trailer i have hit 1300 temp..mostly 1100-1250..

This is on level 2.

2. WTF is with this Allison trans?? I know everyone here will bash me but seriously i think it sucks! My dodge (flame suit on) shifted WORLDS BETTER...this thing up arond 3k just hangs...and shifts like a slush box! NOW I dont expect it to shift like my built 700R4 in my 500hp 69' Chevelle (haha..love giving passengers whip lash with shifts) but COME ON there has to be SOMETHING TO FIX IT?? whats the best outside of rebuilding trans..i have only 29k miles on mine and not towed a lot. Just feels WEAK as shit. shifts like shit IMO...what should i look to do/add/change/modify?

Thanks guys!!

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
Maybe a transgo jr would help?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a transgo jr would help?
yeah i think thats for sure next. Anyone got any ideas of ballpark install cost?? I dont have time even in this off season to do and i like my transmissions small enough to hold in my hands, non automatic
and cassette style :)

thanks

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
yeah i think thats for sure next. Anyone got any ideas of ballpark install cost?? I dont have time even in this off season to do and i like my transmissions small enough to hold in my hands, non automatic
and cassette style :)

thanks
I had mine done 3 weeks ago.
TransGo Jr kit, Allison deep pan, filter for the deep pan, new Allison spin on filter, 15qts trans fluid, including labor to install everything $600.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TransGo Jr kit, Allison deep pan, filter for the deep pan, new Allison spin on filter, 15qts trans fluid, including labor to install everything $600.
thanks!! Not sure i need the big pan/etc but not bad idea.

Did you notice anything with it now?? Im mainly noticing the truck "hangs' badly in 2-3 and 3-4 gear up around 3k rpm... this thing needs a M-21 rock crusher! haha...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and my favorite was this picture! My buddies 03 F350 (i told him ANY YEAR BUT THAT) broke down ONCE AGAIN (turbo failure badly) up over the Or/Cal border pass (VERY steep) he had to wait for my Chevy to save him, grab his trailer the rest of the way..he goes "WTF..why is this thing so fast WITH my trailer" i told him i did a few "mods" he couldn't believe the difference in my truck with the Edge/MRBP exhaust system... his 28' trailer is like 12+k lbs its all set up shop inside plus had 4 race bikes in it..i had 2 race bikes in bed of truck, then 4 in the cab....70mph all way and over 14mpg... FINALLY!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
They tune the allison to shift pretty soft, If its running up to 3k and hanging you might be dropping rail pressure so the tranny holds a gear longer. A transgo wont change how it feels it will just make it hold torque better. I would add a lift pump and do the transgo. Your looking at ~$75-80 for the shift kit and $380-800 for a lift pump. I would go with a raptor or airdog, avoid the PPE pumps I hear they dont last that long.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
thanks!! Not sure i need the big pan/etc but not bad idea.

Did you notice anything with it now?? Im mainly noticing the truck "hangs' badly in 2-3 and 3-4 gear up around 3k rpm... this thing needs a M-21 rock crusher! haha...
Your not going to go WOW but in general the shifting is a little better.
From what everyone says it will help prolong the trans life.
3000 rpms :eek: your close to the max rpm's, I'm thinking that's the hang up.
Maybe try level 1 and shift a little sooner.
I'm afraid if you don't you might damage the engine and for sure the trans.:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I see you're in Arizona, Where did you have this work done? I'd like to do the samething.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Only noticed my transgo jr for about 10mi while my tranny was learning after that it felt about the same as stock. Use your edge to monitor actual rail pressure vs demanded rail pressure. If there is a difference it will cause the tranny to hang a gear to around 3k

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I see you're in Arizona, Where did you have this work done? I'd like to do the samething.

Thanks
Jeff
S & K Allison
21626 N. 14th Ave
623-869-9136
Near DeerValley Airport.
If this is to far away.
You can call TransGo 626-443-7451 and ask if they can recommend a shop in your area. (If they answer the phone)
Or
TransGo | TechSolutions and search distributors in your area.
I would definitely want a shop that has done this, there is 1 in Mesa, Az that TransGo suggested but I dont remember who that shop was.

GOOD LUCK !

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Also a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause it to hang in the higher rpms before it finally shifts. Are you using tow/haul mode? If so it shouldn't be near as bad since it locks the converter in second gear.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Hey thanks for the info, I'm in Casa Grande so any place will be a day off from work.
It takes about a total of 4 hrs to do the job which includes cool down time.
What ever shop you go with will suggest that you drop off the truck.
Which for you that won't be a option, I waited it out myself.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
if you really want it to not hang in the shifts than you need to make sure you are supplying plenty of fuel to it, building it would be the best though with efi live cause then you can cut back on the defueling between shifts which i dislike so much

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a shift kit for the Allison Transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your not going to go WOW but in general the shifting is a little better.
From what everyone says it will help prolong the trans life.
3000 rpms :eek: your close to the max rpm's, I'm thinking that's the hang up.
Maybe try level 1 and shift a little sooner.
I'm afraid if you don't you might damage the engine and for sure the trans.:eek:
?? its a stock automatic..it shifts itself...it might be 2,900 or 3,100 honestly i tend to wach the road when i got a 7500lb truck wfo hhahaha...but yeah up at the shift point its SO soft (im sure safety feature built in to keep wear down) from 2-3 and 3-4...4-5 is super sharp/positive thou...by then im @100mph wfo so i tend to back it down :)

My main question is WHAT EX TEMPS YOU GUYS NORMALLY SEEING?
-Town/stop go im @500-700
-freeway crusing (empty) @400-700
-WFO from stop like 0-60 @1000-1200
-towing 12k up steep trailer (over 2k rpm, no 6th!) @1100-1350max

Those normal??? Im used to WAY better stability on our race bikes with titanium exhaust..lol thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also a dirty/clogged fuel filter will cause it to hang in the higher rpms before it finally shifts. Are you using tow/haul mode? If so it shouldn't be near as bad since it locks the converter in second gear.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich
actually im due to change again, i like to every 10k...i have 29k on it now, so its been same filter for @9k..so ill do that (never hurts anyways) Plus honestly i dont know why i brain farted and didnt try in tow mode! dohh...too many concusions + race gas in the dyno all day :cookoo[1]:

Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts