Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 03 gmc 4 days ago and got my edge juice w/attitude monitor. Its stock besides K&n drop in filter so far. My question is stage 4 or 5 seems like it takes forever to shift the gears almost like its slippin really bad or something? The defuel between shifts is off. Seems really bad in the 1-2 gear shift but still long dead shift for the rest of the shifts. Is this normal? Should i check/change tranny fluids? Truck has 90k miles.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
THe allison has to relearn to shift everytime you change power levels, poor shift quality is normal for a few miles after switching power levels! On a stock trans, especially a 90 k trans be careful running 4 and 5 as even on a new trans you are playing with fire on the trans!!!

Try driving about 20 easy miles or so with it on level 4/5 befor pounding on it and see if it shifts better!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Also if the truck has 90k miles on it throw a new spin on filter on it. The previous owner or the dealer you got it from may not have changed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys...yesterday i drove about 80 or so miles freeway on level 4 so hopefully it will be better. I plan on havin the whole truck gone over and new filters and better fluids.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the edge juice w attitude and leave it on 3..i have 70k on the truck....Yes, i too wanted to see numbers 4 and 5 so i put it on 5 and drove around for about 50 miles....so my tranny could learn it.....went to work the next nite and after going through the toll i punched it at 45 and my truck spun sideways....ever since then ive left it on 3 and i think i will even leave it there when i enter the truck pull this summer... good luck!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You just have to find the sweet spot where you like it and leave it there. If you constantly change levels it will constantly be trying to relearn and you'll be all goofed up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find an secluded road.

Do this process three times:
Take your truck up to 60 mph in drive, stick it in 1st gear, let the truck coast, it will downshift down to first.
The allison will re-learn.
That sounds kinda rough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
put mine on 4 today for the first time with new exhuast.... i think i blew an injector???? maybe just bad luck who knows ? Back to stock tonight and a trip to the dealer tomorrow...:rockin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have kept mine on stage 4 constantly and i love it. I havent got my exhaust yet but i did have the stock one w/ a straight pipe. In stage 5 racing i have to let off around 70 cuz the egts hit 1350! I have just a drop in gay&N filter. Could this be my problem?? Also in stage 5 it seems like it still takes awhile to shift. Should i turn my defuel during shift off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts