Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into this programmer for my 05 LLY duramax. I would like to improve fuel milage, be able to recalibrate for my 31 inch tires, and get that extra power for towing my 29 foot travel trailer and quads.

Is the edge a good programmer for what i need, if not what should i be looking for?

Im looking at an Edge because it is used, the guy got a new truck, and since funds are a little short its favorable.

Is there any problems with buying used programmers like that? Also has there been problems with these Edge with Attitude programmers?

Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have heard mostly good results but i have heard some bad results from the edge but i never heard any trouble from buying a used programmer unless it is vin locked witch i highly doubt the edge is..good luck and if i could be sp forward as to mention the best for for the bang is the diablo sport or if you want insane power and the best of the shelf programmer you won't beat the ppe tuners...again just some of my thoughts and take them for what they are worth to ya.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been looking around on the site about the edge with attitude and other programmers, i like the edge because of the monitor, but after buying the edge will i have to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake to keep my EGT's under 1350 or should i be fine with the stock set up until i can get some more money together?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Edge on my 05 and Tow a 29 foot TT the edge will help with power but the you will want an exhaust to lower the EGT's. I have not had good luck on the MPG savings

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind with the edge that it will not recalibrate your speedo, you will have to look at the attitude to see your speed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got it! and he through in the k&n air intake.

what level would u guys say is safe to run it on? i have it on 3, but would like to bump it up to 4:)

havent put the EGT meter on yet but gonna get to that soon, any advice?

also is ther a quicker way for the tranny to relearn, or just gotta drive?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have heard that the edge can really screw up your computer but i have a friend with it and has had no problems in the 40000 miles he has had it

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im having problems:S

on the way to work today it was great, power was awesome, on the way home, i hammered it, and the truck felt dead, no power at all, it hesitated and i thought i was gonna have to pull over, then it started goin, this happened twice.

any ideas, or does the alison just have to learn it more?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well after driving more, it seems that off the line it is just so sluggish, its like stock power, or less, from a dead stop at full throttle, then around 2000 rpm the power gets dumped on, nothing really at low end, any ideas?

is this just the way the edge is, or do i need to send it in for an upgrade or something?

Im also running it on lvl 3 and although i do notice more power, i cant say it is the best power, havent even laid down any rubber.

Is this the way the programmer is for most? or is mine acting up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You just have the edge juice right without the monitor? If that is so you are probably hitting the built in safety limits that protect your truck. Like defueling for the tranny and egt's. In order to change that stuff you will have to get the Attitude monitor.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no i have the attitude also, i put it on max boost 5, i set it to defueling because dont want the wear and tear, but it is soooooo sluggish off the line, not a chance at screechin the tires off the line. id have to set it back to stock to try it for sure, but it feels like stock would be more powerful off the line.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i might just be an adjustment on the attitude i would call edge and see what they say about the problem

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Go into your menu and turn up your ow boost fueling. It'll smoke more but it'll go. Remember that the engine temp has to be up at about 170 before it'll start putting the extra pony's to it. I'd be careful with the edge. Dad is on his 3rd one in his lly. Also on a launch are building any boost or just going from idle? On my ppe, I can hold the brake and get some boost up and it will bark'em through 1,2,3 shifts.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
be carefull doing boosted 4X4 lauches with the stock IFS and tie rods,the reason i say that is when you do this the tires tip in and put the tie rods on a bind and the next thing you know kaboom and for $1200 bucks your fixed but they have a cure for this problem..heres the link Crankitupdiesel.com i would recommend this product for any sort of 4X4 sport..on this link you can see some pics of a truck with out the tie rod braces and centerlink and he has the T/Bars cranked a little Tie rod sleeve and center link kit GM 1999-2006 [SD_Tie_Rod_Center_Link] - $596.90 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Mine haven't been 4x4 boosted launches. I don' get a ton of boost just enough to help keep the turbo up to get rid of lag. Yeah I'm thinkin about the tie rod sleeves and center link. Does the center link make it drive pretty harsh just for everyday driving or is it ok to leave it on there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
im having problems:S

on the way to work today it was great, power was awesome, on the way home, i hammered it, and the truck felt dead, no power at all, it hesitated and i thought i was gonna have to pull over, then it started goin, this happened twice.

any ideas, or does the alison just have to learn it more?
When I was having this issue, I was told that the edge cannot keep you fuel rail pressure up to what the edge is telling your computer it needs. And it is supposed to be cured by installing another fuel pump. I could be a liar.:liar But I know when I have really hammered on it, it does act like I am not getting the fuel needed. I have noticed that I get 2mpg better pulling my 26' TT, but I have only ever taken mine over stage 2,once.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that is just from an idle, not boosted. A boosted launch is just applying the brakes to get some boost going? Its my dads truck and he doesnt do burnouts or nothin, i told him to do a boosted launch but he said he doesnt want to cause of the stress, does it stress the truck alot? only in 2wd, i want to make sure im doin this right so i dont screw up the truck!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
to anwser some ?'s on the tie rod braces and centerlink,they will not affect the ride quality of the truck allthough they hurt your turning radius a little but other then that it feels stock..

aggar
doing a 2WD boosted lauch will not hurt your stock front end it is only when you put power to the front that stuff breaks with out doing the tie rod braces and centerlink..

BOOMER
anytime you do 4X4 boosted lauches,truck pull and drag racing you add extra stress and stuff wheres out faster doing these things but ya gotta have fun some how..i have been doing this(boosted lauches,truck pull and drag racing)to my 05 LLY for the last 45k miles and never broke any thing but as you can see in my sig it has some aftermarket goodies on it to keep stuff from breaking..
hope this anwser some of the ?'s above..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont think i would do it in 4x4 until i got the tie rod upgrade u guys are talking about, only 2wd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As for the tranny adjustments just keep driving. You will want to add a monitoring system for the EGT’s. The Edge does have safety levels built in. Do some double checking on your installation because the power should pin you to your seat on level 5

1 - 20 of 31 Posts